jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

I have a 40GB JOBO. It only turns on if plugged in. It shows

I have a 40GB JOBO. It only turns on if plugged in. It shows that the battery is fully charged so I unplug it and it won't turn on. Any ideas?
Category: Computer
Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.

jctservice :

Hi there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

jctservice :

If you unplug the Jobo while viewing it, does it immediately turn off?

Customer:

Yes it does.

jctservice :

ok. generally, this is an indicator that the battery has failed ... but i'm looking now for reset instructions. Is your Jobo a "spectator" model or something different?

Customer:

spectator

Customer:

It does show that the battery is fully charged.

jctservice :

Thank you. "Fully charged" means that the battery has charged as much as possible, but unfortunately, doesn't indicate battery health. For example, my laptop battery, when fully charged will last about 30 minutes. But when the battery was knew, it would last for 3 hours. The indicator now still says 'fully charged" -- even though its far less than FULL capacity

jctservice :

We'll try a quick device reset just to confirm

Customer:

ok

jctservice :

on the Right side i believe, nex tto the power button

jctservice :

should be a tiny reset button

Customer:

yes

jctservice :

it may take a paperclip or similar object to press the button

jctservice :

with the device on (and in your case plugged in so you can turn it on) - press and release that reset button

Customer:

now what

jctservice :

you should see the screen turn off and the device reset

Customer:

it did turn off

jctservice :

ok, now simply try again with and without the power plug to see if your results are any different

Customer:

no luck

jctservice :

Bummer. That just confirmed that the device wasn't "frozen" in some way.

Customer:

So I take it that it is useless unless plugged in?

jctservice :

The final test would be to hold the reset button in for 30 seconds (while turned on) and see if you get any different results. This MAY delete data on the device, I'm unable to confirm, so if you try this, make sure you have a backup copy of your data

jctservice :

But it indeed sounds like the battery has completely died and no longer has any capacity. Often with Lithium Ion batteries, which is the type you have in that device -- they will keep about 90% of their ability until one they, the no longer function at all

jctservice :

Older types of batteries will slowly degrade over time, a more noticable and slow failure

jctservice :

the battery is 'integrated' -- meaning directly wired inside the device and is unfortunately not replaceable...

jctservice :

So unless that 30-second reset helps (i don't that it will, but it's worth a try), unfortunately your battery is of no use

Customer:

It didn't make any difference and it figures that they made it so the battery can't be replaced. Well thanks for your help anyway.

jctservice :

I'm so sorry there wasn't a quick fix I could provide!

Customer:

Not your fault.

jctservice :

I know, very frustrating! I've been in your shoes several times!

jctservice :

Anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

Well you have a good evening. You did all you could and thank you.

jctservice :

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know… Just reply here at any time.

Thank you and have a great day!

__________________________________________________________

Please give me a positive rating for my service if I have helped you today. Feel free to ask for JCTservice the next time you need technical help!

jctservice, Consultant
Experience: I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.