Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I moved into a condo and my roomate told me that I use her

I moved into a condo and my roomate told me that I use her verizon dsl or fioz internet service. She told me all I got to do is have a wireless internet connection or WIFI. What is wireless internet connection or WIFI?

She has a laptop and she can go upstairs or downstairs to the living room to access internet.

But I have a desktop PC and I tried to access the internet and got no internet connection. What do I do get access her internet service as I have a desktop PC that is wndows vista version?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Wireless which is Wifi, is the ability to get a internet connection without the need of the network cable.

All laptops have this built in, but as desktop computers are not portable, they are not included.

As you need this, you need a wireless dongle. This is a device that plugs into your USB port on your desktop, providing you with Wireless capabilities.

You can then connect to the Verizon service wirelessly (just like she is doing).

I recommend you purchase this one

Click Me To View

It is $10 and once you have it, plug it into any USB port on your computer and your Desktop then has wireless capabilities.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What is a wireless dongle?

Do I also need to get a wireless router?

Do I need to be 40 ft away from the internet box to receive internet service?

If I purchase a new laptop such as DELL XPS laptop, does it have built in wireless connection such as WIFI?

Is there a way that I can get this at Bestbuy because I need on urgently.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Hi Peter,

I have answered your questions under yours below

What is a wireless dongle?

- It is the device on the link I gave you. It connects into your USB port to provide wireless to the desktop

- If you have the Verizon wireless box that your roomate is going to let you use, then no, as that is the wireless router

You can be approximatly 80ft, depending on the constructions of your walls (eg: Brick, Plaster, steel)

- Yes it will. Any Laptop you purchase will

-yes, they also have them, just go to Best Buy and say "I need a wireless USB Adapter for my Desktop computer"

They can sell you one, they have them there.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I purchase the wireless USB adapter, then when I go home do I connect the wireless USB adapter to my USB port?

Then what do I do, how do I connect to the internet? Do I click on google and I should automatically have internet connection service?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Hi Peter.

Correct, and it will install itself, just wait for it to complete (it will say Device is now ready to use).

Then you connect to your Room Mates wireless Network.

This is a video tutorial on how that occurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9JsFH2w4s

Ignore the first part in the film about the wireless switch being on, as yours is.

Once you have connected to the wireless (you only have to ever do this once) then thats it, you have internet and can just start using internet.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Richard, Computer Specialist
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, thank you for your assistance. I really appreciate your help. Have a great day.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Your most welcome Peter!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If I buy the Belkin or Netgear N600 DB wireless dual-band USB adapter from Bestbuy or amazon.com is this compatible with my PC desktop computer?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Yes it is, this will work fine Peter and is a good product.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

What is the difference between the Netgear N600 DB wireless dual-band USB adapter and the Edimax EW-7811Un 150 Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Nothing really, just different models.

They both provide wireless at the same specifications.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I agree with you that they both provide wireless but just not at the same specifications. Because the Netgear N600 DB wireless dual-band USB adapter more expensive because it provides high performance and has the fastest downloads and high performance for watching videos online, internet gaming and etc...

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
No, they are the same, they run on the N standard, and run at the same speed.

Netgear just provide a more enticing description.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Then why is the price difference so drastic from $ 10 to $49. I read the details of Netgear N600 DB wireless dual-band USB adapter and it states that it provides high performance, range, has the fastest downloads and high performance for watching videos online, internet gaming and etc...

So if I purchase the Netgear or Belkin model, it would probably provide me more range and fastest download speed and better performance when I am using the internet at farther location in my house.