B. Rath
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience:  Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

Please help. I cant log into my computer. Every time I type

Please help. I can't log into my computer. Every time I type in my password XXXXX following pops up:
The User Profile Service service failed the logon.

User profile cannot be loaded.

I have turned it off, taken the battery out, and not sure of what to do.
Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Rath replied 9 months ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Please rest assured; we will resolve this issue for you.

First off, please restart your computer, then tap down the F8 key repeatedly at bootup, then at the Advanced Options screen, select 'Safe Mode' and press ENTER twice in order to boot into Windows in that mode.

Once logged in, go to Start, type in system restore and press ENTER.

When the System Restore window comes up, select "Choose a different restore point", then click Next.

TICK "Show more restore points" checkbox
, then select a restore point dated BEFORE you started having this issue with the user account (the earlier the restore point, the better). Click Next > Finish.

Restart normally after the restore is completed, and check how you get on with logging on now. Do keep me posted; thank you!

Regards

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Sorry but everytime I restart it goes directly to logon page. I never get to Advanced Options screen.

Expert:  B. Rath replied 9 months ago.
I see. Please press and HOLD down the Power button on your system for 10 seconds or so, until it switches off completely, then release the button and press it one more time to power the system back on. Next, start pressing F8 repeatedly as it powers on, until the Advanced Options screen comes up.

Do keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok I don't see Choose a different restore point" specifically so can I just select any of restore points in the descriptions?

Expert:  B. Rath replied 9 months ago.
Oh yes, provided it's dated BEFORE you started having this issue with logging on to your account. Let me know how it goes.

Regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Is it typical for the restart to fail and was it OK for me to click to try again. it is now on startup repair which is checking for system problems.

Expert:  B. Rath replied 9 months ago.
It does happen from time to time; after the startup repair completes, please restart your computer normally, and check if you are able to logon to your account. Keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It worked. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  B. Rath replied 9 months ago.

Great! You may just rate my answer now. Thanks!

Regards

B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience: Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.