James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

We have a fairly new Acer and the mouse has locked and wont

We have a fairly new Acer and the mouse has locked and won't move. I've browsed for some answers on my other computer and the FN+F7 doesn't work; other answers require the mouse to be working to click through stuff. This is the second time it's happened. My husband is not an expert typist and I don't know if he's accidentally hitting something to make the mouse lock?
Category: Computer
Expert:  James K. replied 9 months ago.
Hello

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

Sounds like the touchpad has been disabled

Not a Problem can you give me the Model of the ACER please
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Aspire E1

Expert:  James K. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks

dose the F7 Key have the Picture of a square and what looks like a Hand /finger
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, in a blue color - along with a circle with a line through it.

Expert:  James K. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks

Ok lets try something

If the Machine is on hold the Power Button for ten seconds to power it Off

Then Start the machine and "AS soon as it comes on"

Tap F8 > Keep tapping a list of options will appear

Choose Safemode with Networking

Let me the Machine load and let me know if you can log in using safemode

Once logged in Hold the FN button and Press the F7 and see if it Enables the touchopad please

Let me know James

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

When I turned back on, as soon as the Acer sign came on, I started tapping F8. The little dots kept circling for a long time, screen went black for a few seconds and then the password XXXXX came on. I typed in the password XXXXX now the mouse works. My husband had before turned his computer off and on twice with no change.

Since this is the second time the mouse has frozen, could his fingers be slipping and hitting a key or keys that make the mouse freeze?

Expert:  James K. replied 9 months ago.
Yes

these Notebooks have small Keyboard Particularly if you use the FN F8 Key for Muting the Machine

Glad its sorted

Please click the smiley faces and Submit and come back any Issues

Cheers James

!

James K., Consultant
Experience: Technical Director of IT Company