Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.

Hi i am having a problem with my Gateway zx6800. I have been

Hi i am having a problem with my Gateway zx6800. I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue and cannot find a solution. When i start up my pc it hangs at the gateway logo and nothing happens, it will stay at that screen forever. If i push delete to go into the bios nothing happens, the computershows me that i pushed delete and it says please wait but nothing happens, it stays at the gateway logo and does nothing, how can i fix this ?
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

Since it is boot up that is a great sign!

I have seen this exact same issue on another ZX series Gateway. The issue turned out to be a faulty hard drive.

However there are some things I want you to try.

Go ahead and disconnect the power cord on the back of the Gateway. Leave the power cord removed for 5 minutes

After 5 minutes plug the power cord back in. Make sure there are no CD's in the drive, Memory cards from cameras, external hard drives or anything USB plugged in (besides the keyboard/mouse)

Try to turn it on and see what happens.

If that fails It would be hard drive related. If that's the case and you do not have much experience with repairing computers I recommend taking it to a local shop and have them do the replacement. Below is a video that shows the disassembly process on that model about 3 minutes into the video you can see the Western Digital drive. If you do take it apart, you can confirm the drive is not reading or causing it to freeze by disconnecting the power connector from the drive. If it is a drive issue it will give you a black screen that says no bootable device.

If you have any questions or need any further help i'll be here to help in any way I can Smile

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated) Laughing(To rate my help click the smiley faces below then press the submit button)

Also if you need any computer help in the future, you can return to this chat anytime day or night (I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the info provided, i have tried the step you have mentoined and still have no luck with the boot. I will pop off the back cover to get access towads the hard drive and try the second option , i am hoping this will be the issue since it will be an easy fix and i can just swap the hard drive. One more question i wanted to ask is about the memory sticks, is there a possibility that can be a defect or is it most likely just the hard drive ? The reason i ask is that i was having overheating problems with the unit before i have this recent trouble and it would automatically shut off plenty of times, so i cleaned up the heatsink and fan as well. I am hoping that the overheating did not damage any hardware parts .

The overheating would affect the Graphics Card more than anything. Usually when the graphics card has experienced too much heat you will see pixels or lines, or the computer wont display anything at all.

Memory could be an issue, but I have a feeling it's a boot device. What I would do is try disconnecting the Hard Drive and and the CD drive just to see if it boots past the Gateway logo.

What I think is happening is your Gateway is looking at the hard drive and having issues reading sectors of the drive so it's caught in a loop trying to read a section of the hard drive (boot device) and it's just hanging up there. Since the BIOS looks at the devices first it seems to be hung up seeing what options it has to boot to.

Keep me updated though, I love a good hardware challenge Tom Laughing We'll solve it, don't worry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so the good news is the computer booted back into windows and I got it past the post screen. So that means that the hard drive is still functional. Everything seems to be working ok but the only issue I am still having is the overheating, I cannot leave my computer turned on for a certain amount of hours without it shutting off on me. I installed additional fans on the back to cool the heat sink and processor but still no luck . Is this a common defect with these desktops ?
It is, Did you have a chance to remove the side cover to inspect for dust?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did and noticed it needed a cleaning on the heatsink so I did clean it. I also installed extra fans on the metal shield and still overheats and shuts off. Also the temperature overheat setting is disabled in the bios and it still shuts down. I also ser the screen to turn off when not in use cause I was thinking that the screen would throw a lot of heat as well but still nothing worked.

Tom it's not too clear on that model from the video. Is that video card removable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe it is not removable .

Out of curiousity. What happens if you leave the back cover off? does it still overheat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yup it still overheats when I leave the middle cover off where you can access the memory

Did you apply a new layer of paste on the GPU? The gpu is the one on the far left of this video
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That I have not tried yet , does the paste tend do ware off after a certain amount of years ? Is the gpu underneath where the heatsink is located ?

It sure does, The GPU is located beneth the heatsink. It should say Nvidia on it. It will be the chip the heatsink covers that is not removable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I ordered a tube of compound heatsink because I did not have any on me. When it arrives I will give that a try and see if it helps. Another thing I noticed is that if I don't use the computer that much and leave it running in the backround it does not shut off , it can stay on the whole day and night, but if I use it the next day and log in it will shut off right away sometimes. So I'm not sure if this is a overheating issue or something else and also I installed windows 8. Could this make a difference ?

Oh that's wonderful! It could be a startup item causing a shut down issue.

Hold the Windows Key (Looks like a flag on the keyboard) and press R

In the Runbox type msconfig and push enter

Click the Startup Tab

Press Disable ALL

Press Apply

Click on the Services Tab.

Check the box to "Hide Microsoft Items"

Click Disable All once again

Press Apply and OK

Reboot the computer.

Let's see what that does

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here