Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

SBS2011 / Exchange Server 2010 - Email Query Hi We have

SBS2011 / Exchange Server 2010 - Email Query

Hi

We have the above setup with smtp, with the mx records set to direct all email directly to our server.

My question is what happens to any mail if our server is out of action (power failure / maintenance etc)

will it just bounce around the internet and get delivered when we power up or will it get returned to sender.

Second question is : can we set this up any better.

thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX I will do my best to assist you.

Kamil Anwar :

If the mail server goes down (the exchange server) it will stay on the internet and will attempt to resend when the server comes back to life.

Kamil Anwar :

To make this better, i need to ask you a few question so i can understand your model more clearly.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you tell me why did you chose to host exchange at your office and why not online?

Kamil Anwar :

Please leave me a short message when you are back so we can continue.

Customer:

Hi we used to get email via a pop3 connector but this often seemed to be have problems, so when we set up the server with SBS2011, using exchange on our local server was recommended as the best solution.

Customer:

We are not bound to this however and open to considering other ways to configure email.

thanks

Kamil Anwar :

That brings management and extra cost in the world of cloud technology.

Kamil Anwar :

Eventually, an IT Support Company.

Kamil Anwar :

If it is just for emails, then you could get a hosted solution (hosted at a secure data center with backup and no downtime)

Kamil Anwar :

To make the existing solution better, there are a number of things that can be done.

Kamil Anwar :

#1 The first one is to get a UPS to work with the server.
#2 Setup backups for the server
#3 Setup back up MX records (so that if the mail server is down) then the mail will be sent to another server (which can be an online hosted one)
#4 Turn Windows Updates Off
#5 Setup Antivirus for server

Kamil Anwar :

Normally, people do not keep mx records for more then one server because SMTP for most of the mails (depending on the configurations) adds a flag to the message (to retry) if the recipients mail server is down.

Customer:

Ok

1. we have a UPS set up with active monitoring and automatic shutdown

2. we have regular backups scheduled

3. this is probably the bit we need to sort out

4. why turn off windows updates ? - this is currently done automatically and managed via SBS2011

5. currently use ESET nod32 which seems to work well

Kamil Anwar :

3. This is not always needed, it is just one way - Use it only if you are having issues because if it setup, then users may experience problems and this will require extensive troubleshooting to configure it to fit requirements.

4. Windows Updates should be turned off on production servers because (if update, updates something that results in incompatibility) it will bring up unnecessary issues. It should be set to download manually, so you can check it every week or so and update it manually. By doing this, you will be aware of it and if a problem happens, you will be able to resolve it easily.

Kamil Anwar :

I have seen issues where certain things becomes non functioning after an update and then people spend hours resolving issues that comes after update.

Kamil Anwar :

MX Backup - Here's How

Kamil Anwar :

3. Once it's properly setup, it's good

Customer:

ok that makes sense we did have an issue with an outlook update, which caused a problem recently and it did take a little while to sort out.

I will have a look at setting up the MX backup, I had a quick scan through and should be ok to do, but will need to do this later.

I will finish now and get back to you if I have a problem

thanks fro the helpful reply

Kamil Anwar :

You're welcome.

Kamil Anwar :

Take a look at this site: http://www.mxsave.com

Kamil Anwar :

Also, let me know when you plan to setup back up mx so i can find you reliable solutions and assist if any problems occur.

Kamil Anwar :

This should be done over the weekend.

Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.