Marco
Marco, IT Consultant
Experience:  10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.

This server keeps shutting down every week. These errors come

This server keeps shutting down every week. These errors come up every time alerting us of the shutdown but I can't understand why. This is running Small Business Server 2011 Essentials SP1 but it is designed to not be a Doman Controller. We do not want or need a DC here. This server does not do DNS.The error seem to come down to: "This server needs to be a domain controller. Please make this server a domain controller." but I can't make it a DC, the customer does not want that.
Domain Controller Check detected a condition in your environment that is out of compliance with the licensing policy. This server needs to be a domain controller. Please make this server a domain controller. - System - Provider [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Server Infrastructure Licensing [ Guid] {D459C229-4A00-4424-9F63-7325E5AAFA21

How can we prevent the server from shutting down?
The Windows operatin system is Win SBS 2011
OEM Software T72-02881
Category: Computer
Expert:  Marco replied 9 months ago.

Marco :

Hi there,

Marco :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with this issue

Marco :

Is there currently already a DC on your network?

Marco :

hi are you there?

Customer:

Their is an IP Intercom system on the network and for some or other reason the server sees the Master intercom unit as a DC.

Marco :

what operating system is Intercom unit?

Customer:

This is a stand alone security network with survailance cameras, security controllers and the Intercom system.

Marco :

that should have a windows server operating system

Marco :

how do you know that it's a DC?

Marco :

The problem with SBS is that it needs to be a DC

Marco :

The Windows Home Server 2011 - with that you don't need to have a DC

Customer:

Is their a way to configure Server runninig SBS to be not a DC

Marco :

you can set it up to run it as a BDC

Marco :

but you need to have a DC active

Customer:

I bought the 2011 SBS package is it possible to downgrade to Home Server 2011 without change licences or buy new licenses

Marco :

let me find out

Marco :

i don't believe the license allows you to do that

Marco :

but let me check

Customer:

OK

Marco :

unfortunately the SBS 2011 essentials doesn't have that downgrade option: See here http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/archive/2011/01/26/sbs-2011-licensing-can-i-downgrade.aspx

Marco :

what were you planning to use this server for?

Customer:

The server is running the security system of a RIO TINTO building in Johannesburg.

Marco :

oh you don't really need to have a server for that

Marco :

so there's the software installed on it

Marco :

and it just records?

Customer:

Looks like we will have to install anorther operating system on the DELL R210 machine

Marco :

yeah windows 7 should do the job

Marco :

but the only tricky parts is the drivers

Customer:

Their is Milestone CCTV, Honewell Tridium licenced software installed

Marco :

the software should be fine

Marco :

it's just that drivers for the dell server

Marco :

eg controller card

Marco :

you should be able to find most of the drivers on the internet

Customer:

Thank you for your valuable help we will change the operating system

Marco :

ok no problems

Marco :

good luck

Marco :

if you have a minute please rate my services

Marco :

bonuses much appreciated

Customer:

will do

Marco :

thank you and have a nice day

Customer:

Bye

Marco, IT Consultant
Experience: 10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.