ITguy1978
ITguy1978, Computer Repairer
Experience:  USMC 1998-2010 As a System/Network Analyst Degrees: IT/Networking, second degree in process Business/ProjectManagment

I purchased a HP Pavilion laptop it says TX1000 and TX1215NR

I purchased a HP Pavilion laptop it says TX1000 and TX1215NR what i would like to know is, is there anywhere, where i can get a recovery disc? this laptop had no hard drive and there was no operating system at all. Ebay nor HP have any recovery disc's.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 9 months ago.

ITguy1978 :

Hello I would be happy to assist you, my name is Jeff

ITguy1978 :

I take it you purchased this laptop second hand?

ITguy1978 :

Are you just wanting an operating system?

Customer:

yea i got it off ebay

ITguy1978 :

There is an easy option if you are not a die hard windows fan.

Customer:

any suggestion is good

ITguy1978 :

Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/

ITguy1978 :

Its free

ITguy1978 :

It is a windows like environment, with great customer support.

ITguy1978 :

It won't cost a dime

ITguy1978 :

It is close enough to windows in look, that you will not have a hard time adapting at all.

Customer:

awesome cause i have been looking all around ebay but i see there are a lot of options

ITguy1978 :

I would suggest getting a blank DVD and downloading the program onto the disk. Then you just need to load the disk and go through the install.

Customer:

is the file big? would it work on any cd-rw disc?

ITguy1978 :

Their are options but Ubuntu is free, and much of the software is free. You can even use a Windows emulator to run windows programs.

ITguy1978 :

You shouldn't have any issues putting it on that. Just Be sure to click the make bootable option if your program doesn't do that automatically.

ITguy1978 :

Worst case scenario you hate it, it only cost you a little time, and the blank disk.

Customer:

ok i think i got it one last question i see it says desktop on one of the options does it matter that its for a laptop?

ITguy1978 :

I personally love all the free software and games that you can download for it. Also the office software that comes free with it is pretty amazing, and you can even save in the same format as Microsoft office. Why more people don't switch I will never know.

Customer:

is this laptop a touch screen?

ITguy1978 :

Yes the specs say it is!

Customer:

so after i install Ubuntu it should give me the option to turn it on?

ITguy1978 :

Check and Check

ITguy1978 :

Ubuntu supports touch screen, it is becoming the new standard.

Customer:

awesome well that answers my question thanks for the help!

ITguy1978 :

No worries, please remember to rate my performance.

ITguy1978 :

If you need anything else look me up, I'm on all the time.

Customer:

thanks and i will

ITguy1978, Computer Repairer
Experience: USMC 1998-2010 As a System/Network Analyst Degrees: IT/Networking, second degree in process Business/ProjectManagment
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i downloaded ubuntu and cannot load it on a cd rw due to its size how can i fit the file on the cd rw?

Easy as pie, if you do not have access to a DVD burner, and DVD....what about a pen drive. This is the site to help you make a boot-able pen drive, with instructions. I hope this helps. If you need support with the install let me know. If you have no pen drive...or access to borrowing one at least, we may be at an impasse. Until you have access to one or the other. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok i think i'm going to need help. i'm on the website and i see a big download button and on the left of the screen it says portable linux categories with 4 options do i pick one from there? or do i hit the big download button?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-ubuntu-10-04-on-flash-drive-using-windows/

Try this one, Step one highlighted in blue. On this second link.
Are the instructions detailed enough?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

the one at the bottom of the page right? where the download button is highlighted blue?

Yes the one with this text. Listed with the number
Ubuntu Live USB Flash Drive Creation tutorial

Download and launch the Universal USB Installer and follow the onscreen instructions. Remember you need at least a 2 gig thumb drive.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok i got it now i just need to get a usb

Outstanding I am very excited for you! Keep me spun up on your progress and I'll be here to assist as necessary. Remember you need at least a 2 gig usb drive. You can find them pretty cheap these days. Keep me posted if you get stuck we will work it out together.
ITguy1978, Computer Repairer
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i will and thanks!