Brandon M.
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Currently an IT Manager for law firm. Work with Exchange, Blackberries, MS Office daily
12024030

I have a very strange problem. You contacted me to change my

I have a very strange problem. You contacted me to change my pw because you said my account had been compromised. and it was, a diet company kept posting their link in my tweet space. no matter how many times i deleted it , it kept coming back. but when i try to reset my pw, it doesn't "take". i am not able to sign back in. please help. @fb_world. then i got a strange direct message from "dining detectives" responding to a question i did not ask. i received this response via e mail. not through twitter, which i still cannot log onto.
Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Rath replied 10 months ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

I assume you are having this issue with your Twitter account itself? May I remote in to your computer now, and try and retrieve/reset the password XXXXX you? Do let me know; thank you.

Regards
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Would you like to remote into my computer now? is it too late?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I still can't sign in.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 10 months ago.
Okay; let's do a remote session now. Please open up the following link:
https://join.me/

Click on the orange 'start meeting' button, then download and install the join.me application. A 9-digit code (join.me/XXX-XXX-XXX) should automatically show up at the top of your screen accordingly.

Just reply back here with the code, and I'll be remotely connected.

Regards

Expert:  B. Rath replied 10 months ago.
Hi, are you still there?

Regards
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are u really a person, this is going very badly. I have told you, your link did not provide e with a code number so I could send it back to you.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry; I did not get your earlier reply. I'll opt out now, and let another expert help you with the issue now. Thank you.

Regards
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Nobody is helping me anymore. I try to reset my ow but it just isn't taking. @fb_world

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

perhaps will try again in teh morning. maybe there is no one to help me on a sunday night. but i did pay the $48, and i have not gotten any help as of yet.

XXX-XXX-XXXX

@fb_world

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to continue to assist you with your issue.

Let's not do remote yet, unless we need to. Are you referring to your Twitter account or something else? Please be specific so that I can assist you to the best of my ability.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am still unable to sign in, even though I followed the instructions to reset the password. It doesn't work, even after I reset it. This all started with this weight supplement company putting their tweet message on my page. No matter how many times I deleted it, it would pop back on. I found the company's page by the link they left me, and sent them a message saying they were hacking into my account and I was goingto report the to twitter. Before I even had a chance to do anything about it, I got an e mail from twitter saying that they reset my password XXXXX my acct was compromised. Noe everything I do to reset my password XXXXX work. I can't log ack in. I got a message from friends called dining detectives, and they responded to a question I never sent them. What's going on? Has my account been hacked? Can I get back into twitter? Please don't abandon me util this is fixed, I paid $48 but I don't want a monthly account for maintenance. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX @fb_world.
Do you tried the password XXXXX process here, correct?

https://twitter.com/account/resend_password

Try it again, just to be sure. If you are at least able to get into your account, we can make sure that no one else can access it in the future.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried it again. I reset the password. I signed in. It wouldn't let me.

@fb_world
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried again. It won't even accept my user name. Says it doesn't exist.

User name- @fb_world
Seems to still be a valid user:

https://twitter.com/fb_world

If I request a password XXXXX for your user, will you provide me with the link you get in your email?

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can u see my page. ? U just gave me the link for it. . It's the right page. It's the top tweet of my tweets. The weight loss product link. No matter how many times I delete it, it keeps re posting. Same company. Do they have a twitter page? You should revoke their twitter privileges.
Correct, I do see that post. Looks like you've tried resetting your password XXXXX few too many times. Let's try again in a little bit. In the meantime, what is the last password XXXXX tried to reset it to?

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Xxxxxxx
Love!handle

No upper cases.
I've retried every time you guys sent me a link. But what about the intruding post? CAn u block them?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Someone also sent a direct tweet message in my name to@diningdetectives. They set me a direct tweet back in response. Can u see what was sent to them? Something about freeware.
Sorry if you were misinformed but we are not Twitter - we are just a third party support company to help you. Once we can get you back into your account, we can remove that offending post and remove any apps that may be associated with your account.

Like I said before, you reset your password XXXXX few too many times so let's just wait a little bit and we can try again.

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long should I wait in order to attempt another reset? Bear in mind the very first attempt at resetting failed. Why would it fail? I am thinking of going to sleep soon. Is all you can think of to resolve this issue is to try another password XXXXX? Seems like there is more to it than that. I'm not a techie at all, but this seems crazy.

Yeah, we need to get you into that account so we can clean it up and prevent any future access to it.

I would say lets try in the morning. What we can do is I will request a password XXXXX then you can give me the email you get from Twitter and I will reset it for you. That way I can also go in and clean up your account for you, if that is ok with you.

What do you think?

I am in eastern time zone (currently 1:32 AM). I will be online for a little longer, then from 9AM on through the rest of the day.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sounds like a plan. Appreciate the human touch. I can't really work on it till about 9:15 my time, I have a lot of running around to do early , but I'll land on it after 9ish.

I feel strongly tat twitter should revoke twitter privilegs for te offending intruder.
And I want to understand what happened and why.
Once we are done, I will look into reporting them for you. I know that Twitter strives to keep their service clean.

Look forward to speaking with you tomorrow - let me know when you are available. Don't do anything on Twitter until we talk.

Have a nice night.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, it's a plan
Great. Talk to you soon. Please don't reply to this message until you are ready as it will prevent me from assisting other customers.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Good morning! I am ready to try a new password.

Awesome - Twitter sent you an email. Please don't click the link! Can you copy/paste the email to me?

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am on my I pad, so I have no mouse. However I could forward the e mail to u if you sent me your e mail address......

Sadly, I don't have an email address. Can you tap and hold on the body of the message and choose copy and paste it in a response? The link might not come through but it is worth a shot.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure how to do that. I'll be at my desk in n hour or so . I'm out and about right now.u honestly ont have an e mail I could forward to? This essage goes to an eail. It would sure save time.

Or I could try one more time to set it.......
I don't have a public email address that I can give out, sorry. I can wait an hour or so - I think it would be best if I try for you, if you dont mind.

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It doesn't work like tat. I'll be at my dek before noon my time, will u still be there?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What's the maximum amount f time I have to get back to you?

E
I will be here for the next 12 hours or so. Take your time. Look forward to hearing from you. :)

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, then that'll work. Stay tuned.........
Great.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, FB_World

Twitter believes that your account may have been compromised by a website or service not associated with Twitter. We've reset your password XXXXX prevent others from accessing your account.

You'll need to create a new password XXXXX your Twitter account. You can select a new password XXXXX this link:
https://twitter.com/pw_rst/e/1334557308/ofJdEwkWMpXHSRnMCP_SnslnViA%3D-1380495908-user/0/2

As always, you can also request a new password XXXXX our password-resend page: https://twitter.com/account/resend_password

Please don't reuse your old password XXXXX be sure to choose a strong password (such as one with a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols).

In general, be sure to:

• Always check that your browser's address bar is on a https://twitter.com website before entering your password. Phishing sites often look just like Twitter, so check the URL before entering your login information!

• Avoid using websites or services that promise to get you lots of followers. These sites have been known to send spam updates and damage user accounts.

• Review your approved connections on your Applications page at https://twitter.com/settings/applications. If you see any applications that you don't recognize, click the Revoke Access button.

Link didn't work - Just sent another one just now.

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Forgot your Twitter password?
Ellen Walsh
Twitter received a request to reset the password XXXXX your @FB_World account. To reset your password, click on the button below:
Reset your Twitter password XXXXX
Or copy and paste the URL into your browser:
https://twitter.com/pw_rst/e/1334557308/TI4awPNPwTkhWuPiFi4HkWsH9us=-1380497097-user/0/2
If you're getting a lot of password XXXXX emails you didn't request, you can change your account settings to require personal information to start a password XXXXX
Check out our support pages for more information.
Please do not reply to this message; it was sent from an unmonitored email address. This message is a service email related to your use of Twitter.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sent it.i guess I had sent you an old link. Just sent the new link.
That is strange - keeps saying that there wasn't a password XXXXX from this user.

Can you give me your email address using another symbol instead of the @?

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

all your e mails are coming in to me atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

I can't see email address for privacy - can you replace the @ with something else like #?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sure challenging, huh!!

Should've sent you another.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

what do you need?

It should've sent you a new email.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Here is the newest and latest link

Forgot your Twitter password?
Ellen Walsh
Reset your Twitter password XXXXX
Still not working - trying something else - another email...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

tell me which one

No, I mean twitter sent you another email.

Sorry.

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Forgot your Twitter password?
Ellen Walsh
Reset your Twitter password XXXXX
https://twitter.com/pw_rst/e/1334557308/KoeqLVwm_vjW0_GxfC0_3ekEtoQ=-1380568346-user/0/2
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

do you need anything from me right now?

Success! I was able to reset your password. I looked around and nothing looks fishy. It simply may have been an insecure password. That weight-loss message was an actual tweet originating from Twitter, not a third party site so someone was logged in as you. I set your password XXXXX Testing.123 (that is Testing dot 123). See if you can log in.

Brandon
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience: Currently an IT Manager for law firm. Work with Exchange, Blackberries, MS Office daily
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So I should try to log in, if i get in, should i try to set a new password, or just keep that one for a while, at least? but wht do you mean that tweet came from twitter? how bizarre is that??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Can you explain to me what happened? In other words, are you saying that TWITTER repeatedly posted that message to my account regardless of how many times I deleted it? why would they do that? and you say they were logged in as me? i dont understand why my pw was an insecure one. i had #s and signs, and passed a lot of strength tests.

I think I deserve to know what the problem was. that was a very difficult reset, with pw after pw not allowing me back into twitter.

what do you think?

Ellen Walsh

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Also, i would like to leave a tip, but i do not want to start a subscription. but thank you very much for working so diligently on my behalf.

sincerely

Ah, my reply disappeared. Basically, the posts were by a user logged into your twitter account from the twitter website - not a third party site.

It may have just been an insecure password XXXXX so I would make sure you change it right now, if you can. Use symbols and numbers if you need .

You can leave a tip without subscribing - there is a small link that says "just leave a tip" - it won't subscribe you.

Thanks in advance for the tip and I'm happy to be of service.

If you don't need anything else, please have a great rest of your day.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have to be honest with you, i do not feel taken care of in relation to the nature of the problem. Who was logged in as me on the twitter site? were they caught? punished? thrown off of twitter? why would my pw be considered weak? It had numbers and symbols. Was considered strong by many measurements. was it someone at TWITTER itself? Why me? I am such a small account. Why wouldn't twitter let me log back in? Will i have any trouble setting a new pw?

Ellen :-(

I would not be able to answer who it was or if they were caught - only Twitter would be able to help with that. It may not have been weak but if you use that same password XXXXX and that service was hacked into or your password XXXXX sound somewhere on a google search, it may have been tried. No, it wouldn't be someone at Twitter - these are third parties just trying to drive people to their sites for random reasons. The login/reset issue was likely due to caching - an extra method to secure you from unauthorized password XXXXX You shouldn't have any trouble changing your password.

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no i dont use that multiple times, its just by all standards a secure password. and i appreciate all your help. thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That diet company is still posting on my page. I just deleted it again.

EW
Hrm - that isn't entirely possible. What browser do you use? Internet Explorer?

Brandon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

firefox. and i deleted another diet company message last nght. i haven't checked this morning, yet.