Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax
14934061

I have a Dell Vostro 230 and am considering upgrading it by

I have a Dell Vostro 230 and am considering upgrading it by adding an SSD drive. For maximum benefit, the motherboard must have an X2 PCIe slot for the adaptor. How can I tell visually if this kind of slot is available. The MB is made for Dell so it's not labeled with a common manufacturer's number.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

this is your vostro 230

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

You have :

PCI: 2 Slots
PCIe x1: 1 Slot
PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slot

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

technically you can use any flavor of PCIe in any other slot, as long as there are no physical obstructions. this is never an issue when putting smaller cards in a bigger slot.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

since you have the x16 slot, an x16 slot will handle x1, x2, x4, x8, and x16 cards.

Customer:

Well, I do have a graphics card that I added which takes up a single slot which I assume is the PCIe x16. According to your answer, I just have an X1 slot left. The adaptor requires an X2 slot in order to use the the higher level SATA connection that the SSD drive needs for its maximum speed. The adaptor also provides a carrier for the SSD drive which is very convenient. I'll open the computer and take a look anyway.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

ok, by the way, you will not be able to use the x1 slot for the x2 pcie device (x's are backward compatible, you would be able to use a x1 device in a x2 slot, but reverse will be impossible)

Customer:

I just took a look inside and there are actually three slots. One is physically longer and holds the graphics card I added and the other two are smaller which I assume are x1. I need to look at the adaptor specs. again but I'm sure it needs the larger slot which means I can't do this upgrade unless I'm willing to give up some speed that the SSD is capable of providing.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

that's correct. smaller ones should be x1

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

Slots:

PCI: 2 Slots
PCIe x1: 1 Slot
PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slot

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(smaller one is x1)

Customer:

OK. I'll rate and pay now.