Ansh P.
Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Professional computer engineer working as systems developer with top multinational company.
14055801

I have a Toshiba PSC12C-00S00S. To-day the screen is black.

I have a Toshiba PSC12C-00S00S. To-day the screen is black. I have unplugged it, removed the battery, replaced them to no avail. I have documents on this computer that I desperately need. What can I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 1 year ago.

Tech Specialist :

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer.com I am Tech Specialist and today, I will be trying my best to solve your issue.

Tech Specialist :

Remove the battery of the laptop

Customer:

ok done

Tech Specialist :

Now, press and hold the power button for 15 seconds

Customer:

ok done

Tech Specialist :

Now plug in the laptop to mains without batter and click the power button once

Customer:

ok ... sorry for the delay - done

Tech Specialist :

Is it still completely dead?

Tech Specialist :

Black screen

Customer:

yes

Tech Specialist :

Sorry, bad news, looks like the motherboard is fried

Customer:

wow!

Tech Specialist :

But most probably, you should be able to recover data

Tech Specialist :

How old is the laptop?

Customer:

How can I do that? 1 1/2 years

Tech Specialist :

Serial number of laptop?

Customer:

6A697556Q

Tech Specialist :

Warranty expired on Aug 10, 2011

Tech Specialist :

Bad

Tech Specialist :

first of all, you have to take out the hard drive and connect it to an external hard drive adapter or caddy

Customer:

I know it's expired

Tech Specialist :

using that, you have to extract all important data from the laptop

Customer:

oh!

Tech Specialist :

you can convert to an external drive and carefully transfer the data out of it to another computer

Tech Specialist :

and may be create a backup this time to another external drive

Tech Specialist :

when done, you have to get the motherboard replaced

Tech Specialist :

Not a straight forward process

Tech Specialist :

Sorry about that

Customer:

You're right. Think I'll have to get a local pro to do this for me

Tech Specialist :

Thanks and have a blessed day!

Customer:

Thanks for help, even though it's bad news. How do I rate you? You identified but could not solve the problem.

Tech Specialist :

Thanks for understanding. You can rate me below using the smiley icons on the bottom right of this page.

Tech Specialist :

God bless you.

Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst
Experience: Professional computer engineer working as systems developer with top multinational company.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At least I now have my files back I transferred the HD to another computer, then saved them on a stick. Now I can move them to a new computer that I will soon purchase.

Thanks.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 1 year ago.
Great news Bob. Please make sure you keep backup of your important files from now on. That helps a lot in these kind of crisis.

Thank you and have a nice day.