Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.

list of services a web development website can offer? hi, im

list of services a web development website can offer?

hi,

i'm in middle of a major plan to study web design and development and also i might include graphic design to start freelancing.

i need a complete list of web design, development and graphic design's related services so i can put them in a major website i plan to launch in order to expand along with my freelance career.

need everything please so i can pick from them to provide it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,

Happy to help!

First, it's important to understand and separate design from development. Design is more so about the look and feel, and development is the back-end part that makes everything run. Everything beyond that is up to each company as to how detailed they wish to make it. Break up categories too much and it starts looking less like services and more like features of a web site. Really, web design, web development, graphic and logo design, e-commerce development, are the primary categories for most likely 99% of projects you'll take on. If you wish to more narrowly define them, that's possible, but not entirely necessary.

You may want to check out this page, as well as the PRODUCTS dropdown menu since add-on services like SEO, Email Marketing, etc., are definitely additional (highly profitable) services that you can market to clients, as well. Here's the link:

http://kineticknowledge.com/web-design-development/

On that page, they do a very thorough job breaking up website-related services as much as possible to the point where some of that could almost be construed as individual services and features as opposed to the 'big picture' of each client's project, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps; let me know if you have any more questions. Thank you.

FS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

thx alot for ur time sir

i wish to hear ur advice please...after i start freelancing and work online how can i develop and expand myself and do u have any road map for me please.

since i want to know how to increase my profits cause as u know freelancing is limited to ur working hours.

Hi saad

I actually have a small web design and development company and it can be extremely difficult for you to get new clients at first.

My suggestion to you is to not worry about any type of paid marketing at first, and to keep your web site not too complicated. At first, you'll not want to offer a wide range of services. It would be better for you to excel at a few services (like logo design, graphic design, and web design is a great start) then expand to other services (like web development, e-Commerce store design and development, larger projects, etc.) as business grows so that you can learn more about each type of service as you go along.

Start off handing out business cards to everyone you can -- friends and family members, maybe business associates. You may even want to offer a referral/kickback/bonus to them (I usually offer $100 per referral as long as the client they refer generates at least $500 in income). Word of mouth is REALLY the only way you'll be successful at all in the web site industry! There is a lot of competition so the only way to get ahead is to start out with people who trust you and give them great service for a fair price!

Then once that starts going somewhere, you can maybe expand to targeted email marketing or pay-per-click advertising only after you've asked at least 5-10 people to take a look at your web site and have them offer up any improvements or changes they would like to make, and then make those changes and hope that the business rolls in!

Regarding "working hours", eventually, you'd like to work with a few trusted designers and/or developers who could work for you, either on a contractual or part-time basis at first, once you got enough business. But at first, you'd want to do most of the work yourself, and then as the projects get bigger, you can either (A) leverage consultants and freelancers on sites like freelancer.com if you need help with just one medium/large-sized project or (B) start looking for a trusted partner to develop web sites. That's another important component of trust.

Honestly, the biggest issues I have faced with working with contractors and developers of web site is that they can easily lie to you! You have to always check on their progress at least once or twice a day (or week, depending on how large the project is) otherwise they WILL start slacking and they WILL make you look bad. I know from personal experience!

And then, as you become more in demand, your profits can increase because you can (A) be choosier about which clients you go with and (B) increase your prices gradually, maybe once a year or so.

FS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

do u have any idea how much money i can make per month in the first 6 months of my freelancing career?

lets say that my quality of services is going to be average / normal.

Unfortunately, the biggest factor isn't even the quality of your services. I've seen numerous web design companies locally to me that have absolutely horrible designs. You can tell they reuse the same templates over and over and hardly modify anything between one job and the next. But they continue to get business.

More importantly than good design is effective marketing and good business skills.

If you market your services well, you can probably make at least a few sales a month. If you spend a decent amount of time getting in touch with companies in person or over the phone (both are way more effective than email), you'll probably start getting more sales sooner.

Never expect advertising money to bring in clients for you. I once spent $1,000 on a PPC marketing campaign and got ZERO leads, and made ZERO money from it. It was the worst PPC campaign ever, probably because I mentioned the price right on my home page instead of giving people a chance to at least browse the web site first and figure out if they even wanted to pay that much. (I would not put pricing on your web site at first unless you wanted to keep it extremely low.)

You just need to focus on a type of market (low cost web design for example) at first and then just go from there. :-)

Honestly, most clients can't tell the difference between a good and bad web site... It's up to you to help them understand why you're good at what you do, and sometimes, it doesn't even take a lot of convincing. Sometimes shorter and simpler is better. You just have to try different types of things to figure out what is the best for you and the services you wish to offer!

FS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

i didnt mean the online business i want to start i ment the freelancing like after i graduate and start working freelancer online and do services for other people on elance.com freelancer.com etc..

just want to know how much i might potentially earn on monthly basis in first 6 months.

sorry for too much questions this is last one and will hit excellent service for sure

Ah, sorry about that :-)

And you aren't asking too many questions. Don't worry about that.

On freelancing sites, there is significant competition. Small projects get anywhere from 10-40 proposals, so you'd have to act quickly and put together a price and details that make you seem more competent. Something that can help this GREATLY is simply setting up a web site with a portfolio.

It's hard to get a portfolio at first, but if you work for a smaller amount of money or do work for non-profits, you can grow your portfolio quickly. You can also agree to work with someone else who already has a portfolio and get them to agree so that you can share your completed web sites and projects between each other and that can certainly help! A history of just a few web sites shows at least what type of work you're about, and you'd want to ensure that you fully complete every profile on any freelancing site like freelancer/odesk/elance, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

FS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

i still didnt get a number :)

just want an estimation of how much profit i might get thx

Sorry :-)

You're working for yourself, so the profit is pretty much everything you bring in, minus any expenses like templates, stock photos, etc. (But with some items, you can pass those expenses on to the client.)

If you mainly focused on smaller web sites, which I would recommend for you for now, you could probably bring in at least $1,000 on the low end, if you actively submitted quotes for work ASAP right when a project is posted on those sites and kept your pricing competitive. (But don't make it too competitive; I never would accept the lowest price I was offered on a project because that just seems desperate.)

As you build a reputation on those freelancing sites, your score goes up and the value of your proposals increases, as well. You could easily make more and more money each month; you just need to ensure that you have all of the 'details' taken care of such as a reasonable portfolio and a completed profile that details everything you can take care of for clients down to minute levels (like mentioning specifically CSS, AJAX, JavaScript, etc.).

Easily $1,000 a month, doing all the work yourself. $2,000 a month isn't that unlikely, either, but you'd have to be working close to full-time (or more) at first because your reputation will be lower than those with other freelancers who have already earned tens of thousands of dollars and gotten the acceptance of numerous projects before you, so you'll need to give lower prices than those with more experience, and soon enough, you'll have enough experience that you'll look like a more enticing option for potential clients.

Anything beyond $2,000 at first is unlikely. You can only do so much by yourself before you need to increase pricing or bring more people in to work for you.

Hope that helps.

FS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

but i have a problem ...for months i been looking for how much i should charge per hour "hourly rate" and i codnt find any answer.

how much shod my hourly rate be at start ? / how much money per project i should pick?

Most people prefer a fixed cost for projects, so that will be the majority of the work you do.

It is up to you. How valuable do you think you are? Build a web site from scratch, and see how long it takes you. Log how many hours it takes you each day and then add them all up. Ask yourself "How much would I charge for this web site?" For a simple web site, prices usually range from $300 all the way up to $1,000, on average. So if you invested 80 hours of work into it, that would be less than $4 an hour if the total project was billed at $300. Even at $1,000 for fixed price, that's only $12.50/hour.

I think anything above $8 is respectable. Anything beyond $15/hour for a basic web site (no custom features or exceptionally complicated aspects of the site beyond traditional design and development) would be too high, in my opinion. I would say keep it between $8 and $12 USD. You want to work as efficiently as you can, always, of course, but keep this in mind: when you bill per project, you can take longer and work more hours and the client won't be upset; it will affect your pay per hour. But if you bill per hour, any delays or extensions of the project resulting in additional work, no matter whose fault it is, may always be seen as your fault simply because the client is more likely to think that you're just wanting to earn more money so you're milking the project/dragging it on longer just for that simple fact. You and I both know that you would never do that but client perception is everything; that's why I would recommend sticking to fixed projects versus hourly, honestly.

FS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

god bless u man great service u provided me :)

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help :-)
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience: Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.