Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design

i have several .oft files that i use as message templates.

i have several .oft files that i use as message templates. I am working with windows 7 -32bit and outlook 2010. i am having an issue when i open the template and i make a few minor updates to the send to: XXXXX XXXXX to the body of the message, I then save it to my drafts to use at a later date. I have noticed that as soon as I click on the save command all of my updates are gone and the original message template is there. Why does it undo my changes?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 9 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

I think you installed microsoft office on the same drive where windows 7 installed. Windows will not allow programs to make changes on files stored in root drive without administrative rights. So, you should open Outlook with administrative rights first. Make sure outlook is closed and not running. Then right click on the outlook shortcut and select Run as Administrator option.

On out look select Home ->New Items-> More Items->Choose Form , Select User template in File System , click on the Browse button and the "Browse For Folder" dialog will allow to browse to your otf file. Open the .oft file and make required changes and click File - Save as, change file format to .oft and save in require location.

Regards

Jins

Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i am working on a company computer microsoft is on an exchange server.

The OS you are using is windows 7 right ? Please try my method and let me know the result.

Regrads
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

windows 7 runs locally on my computer. outlook 2010 was installed locally on my computer but all messages reside on msft exchange server. i have tried the method you recommended and still no resolution. here is the kicker, i have templates that work correctly and some that don't. how does that work?

You mean, you can make changes on some oft files on server and can't make changes on other oft files on server ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes that is correct. some of the templates that i update maintain the changes that i have made and others do not. i have asked my it department they say that i have administrative rights for outlook already.

Okay, please make sure the oft files on the exchange server on which you can't make changes are not read only and you have write permission on those files.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i have permission to read, write, edit.

Okay, can you make changes on those templates and save the oft file on your local system ? Please use save as on outlook as on my previous answer and try to save the oft file on your local system. If you can save on the local machine, copy that oft file and save it on your exchange server by overwritting the old one. Let me know the result.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have tried what you are recommending and still the same outcome. Also tried rebuilding the template, saving locally to my computer, then saving on server, then template from server, making my usual updates the the body of the message. Samething results, as soon as I click save command it goes back to the original template. The updates that i made to the send to field sticks, but the changes I made to the body of the email are gone.

Can you please compare the security settings of one oft file of which changes can be saved and one oft file of which changes can't be saved ? I strongly believe it is a security or permission related issue. Because, if it is an outlook related or exchange server related issue it will not happen with only some files.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can we work on this tomorrow?It's time for me to leave work now.
Okay, me also need to go now. We can continue tomorrow. Please compare the security settings and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok will do thank you.
Okay, see you tomorrrow.
Did you compare the security settings of those oft files ?

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i was not able to figure out how to do that yet. do you know how to do that?

You should manually do it. Ask the help of your network administrator if needed. Right click on the file and select Properties. Check which user is the owner of that file, which users and user groups have access to that file and which type of access for each users and groups (read, write..etc)

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

full control

modify

read & execute

read

write

are all cheched for both files

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

user is "system"

Everything settings on working oft and other oft files are same ?

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes they are.

Really Strange, I have an idea please try that also. Assume one of your working oft file is ASD.OFT and non working oft file is XYZ.OFT. Now, rename the non working OFT file with an OLD on the end of the file name. In the example you should rename XYZ.OFT to XYZ.OFT-OLD

Now right click on the working OFT file and select COPY. Now right click on a blank space on the same window and select PASTE. You will get a copy of that OFT file. In our example you will get a file named Copy of ASD.OFT.

Now rename the copied file to the old non working oft's name. In our example you should rename the file Copy of ASD.OFT to XYZ.OFT

Now open outlook and make the changes on this oft and save the changes.

Is it working ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

sorry, but this still did not work.

Okay, instead givin the old name give a new name and check the result. In our example you should rename the file Copy of ASD.OFT to XYZ-NEW.OFT

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

sorry, I did that and still is not working.

Actually, I am out of idea. We tried almost every thing except re-installing Outlook and Exchange server. Anyway, please enable the built-in administrator account of your windows 7 and the login to the administrator account and try again.

Check this thread to see how to enable built-in administrator account.

Click on and login as administrator. Open outlook. Configure it and check the result.

Regards

Jins