Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

My dell precision workstation 220 desktop wont fully restart

My dell precision workstation 220 desktop won't fully restart after I turned it off last night. It keeps showing a black screen with diskette drive 1 seek failure, no boot device available and also strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am sorry to hear about this complication you have ran into. When you mentioned it won't fully load do you ever see the windows 2000 logo or anything like that? Also have you ran the dell diagnostic yet on the hard drive?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello it just shows the blue Dell logo when I restart it and then it goes to the black screen with the errors listed. This is the first time it's ever happened.
OK can you restart it again and push F1 while it's on the dell logo screen? Tell me if you get anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I'm restarting it now. I pressed F1 and it immediately went back to the same black screen :-(
OK this time try F2, can you also provide me with the service tag number on the machine please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks. The service tag number is XXXXX
OK on this model you would need a disk for the dell diagnostics do you have a dell resource cd by chance? Also when you push F2 does anything happen at all? Remember this must be done at the dell screen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I no longer have the disk but when I press F2 it pulls up the setup information.
OK if you can, can you set the bios to default settings there should be an option and then save and exit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What should I look under to do so? I'm not sure what to look for they have so many different options.
OK go into options for starters I believe you can go in there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It doesn't show options it shows different drives and diskette drives and different things but it won't let me reset anything.
OK what options as soon as you go into the system setup after you push F2 what does it show exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It shows Diskette Drives A and B, Zip Floppy Support, primary drive 0 and 1, secondary drive 0 an 1, boot sequence, system memory, AGP Aperture, CPU information? integrated devices,PCI IRQ assignment, IRQ reservations, system security,keyboard numlock, report keyboard errors, auto power on, remote wake up and ac power recovery and at the very bottom asset tag but it doesn't let me open anything with it.
Ok if you can choose boot sequence. Tell me what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I just clicked Enter but it doesn't open up to anything.

OK let's do something different. do you know how to remove the computer cover meaning opening the machine by chance and locating and removing the coin system battery? If you don't here is a manual on how to do this: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-220_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

By the way please unplug the power cord before doing this and then proceed in the battery removal. Once it's removed push the power button a couple of times then wait 5 minutes then reinstall the battery. Close the machine up it should reset the bios and tell me if you get the same error message? I will be standing by. By the way if it still comes up at no boot device we would be looking at a failed hard drive.

Please ignore the rating system for now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will try this now and reply once it works thank you for helping me! I hope this works!
We shall see however if it doesn't you will know the source of the problem at least.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The link wouldn't pull anything up :-(

I should have mentioned you would need adobe reader on the machine you are using. If you do go to this link: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/servicetag/78X8P01?s=BSD

Choose manuals and downloads. Then choose the service manual and choose mini tower.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I'll try that link now thank you!
You are welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That link won't work either maybe it's because I'm using my iphone? I took the cover off I'm not sure where the battery is but it was pretty dusty I'll try to use what you told me.

That could be exactly why it can't be viewed it will be on the board it looks like a quarter or coin flat faced down. You would need to remove it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I got the link to work now I'm following the instructions I will message back when everything is back to normal thank you!
You are welcome. I am standing by.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm still trying to locate the battery and after that I'll hook everything back up and see if it loads up completely.
Not a problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried everything as it still won't work :-( thanks so much for trying to help me I really appreciate it! Have a great day!

You are welcome. This means if it's still giving you the same message on the no boot device. You will need to install a new hard drive. I am so sorry that this has happened to you I really am.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let my Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Of course I wouldn't leave any negative feedback you really did try to help and I'm very appreciative! This computer is just very old it's time to get a new one thanks again!
You are welcome. Keep in mind it can still be fixed it just needs a new hard drive and the operating system reinstalled that's all. If you don't have the original operating system disks I can show you were to get it for reinstallation if you would like me to and you can download the driver software on that same dell website.