Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry

Hello Toshiba, I have a Toshiba laptop that needs system reinstallment.

Hello Toshiba,
I have a Toshiba laptop that needs system reinstallment. The reason I try this is that it closes down, and when restarted, it shows no icons on the desktop. When it first happened, it was app. 4 yrs old. I haven't used it since but bought another one. So all in all, it is 6 yrs old. Warranty is of course expired but I hope you can give me a little advice anyway.
First, let me give you some information about the model:
Toshiba Satellite A100-230
Model no. PSAA9E-0VF043N5
Serial no.Y6219680Q
Bar code no. IY621968ØQSSA9ØVFØ43N5B
There is also a Chinese tag with some numbers: 10-6995-042766 AM2 YNAC1CC1XC74A32.
I use the cd's that came with my laptop but when it is running #2 and has come 36% through the process, it goes down with an error (which I have no time to read).
What should I do? And have you got a Danish support line?
Kind Regards,
Tove Hansen, Denmark.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

I want you to reinstall the system this way please.

turn off the Toshiba

Hold the 0 (zero) button and with it held down, turn on the Toshiba and keep it held down until you get to the recovery manager.

You can then perform the susyem reinstallation this way.

Do this and let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Richard,

thank you so far - my laptop has accepted to run CD #1 again this way but I need to get halfway into #2, before I know it it will work out.

As I write, it has now informed me that I need to insert #3 and press OK. I have not yet tried #2...?

Thanks again, Tove

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Your welcome Tove,

It does not always need the #2 CD.

Complete the installation, and let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Richard,

#3 was accepted, it processed a little, and then went black.

Tove

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
The entire screen went black Tove?

It just turned off?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes indeed...

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Ok, can you take out the battery

Then run it only on the charger cable and try the installation again.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I 'kind of' already did so - the battery isn't working, so it is always on charger.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, this is either the internal mainboard or power supply that is shorting out Tove, it is not software related.

We have now confirmed this.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to take the Laptop in to have a hardware diagnostics performed on it to diagnose and have the faulting component identified. You will then need to have this replaced in order to get the Toshiba working.

In my experience, it is the mainboard that faults causing this problem. And it happens when the data rate is increased (during the installation).

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your information, I will consider whether it is worth it as I already

bought another one.

Is it possible that my account is not charged until Oct. 1st, or will it run automatically when I finish rating support?

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
It is already charged Tove, as you make the deposit when you make the question.

I am just credited a % of this when you positively rate my service.

If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know. And note, rating me does not close this question, so if at anytime you have follow up questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry