Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.

I preordered an iPhone 5s white 64gb and paid for it. Then

I preordered an iPhone 5s white 64gb and paid for it. Then I canceled that order with att over the phone and bought another 5s in the store on launch day. They still sent me the white one and never refunded me. Is the one they sent me unlocked since it is technically not tied to my account anymore?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I'm Nathan and I will be assisting you today. Please remember to rate/accept my answer when we have finished. Thank you.

Nathan :

Hi there, thanks for your question. The iphone would still be considered locked, as it was purchased through ATT at a discounted (subsidized) price.

Nathan :

Your best bet at this point would be to take the one that was shipped to you in to an ATT retail store and explain the situation, and they will take it back and issue a refund of the purchase price.

Customer:

Ok so I couldnt' sell this one to someone else because they wouldn't be able to activate it?

Nathan :

If you didn't return it, in addition to not being refunded for it, you'll likely be billed the difference for an unlocked phone, if it is not activated (added to your att account) within about a month.

Nathan :

Actually, they probably could activate it, but since it was purchased under your account, you'd likely be held liable for the subsidized portion of the phones value.

Nathan :

I think you may be misunderstanding the "unlocked" term. Unlocked typically means that it can be used on multiple carriers, not just on another account.

Customer:

but when I called att, they said they canceled my order, which is how I got the one in the store because they freed up my upgrade. So do you think when they canceled it, it was released from my account?

Nathan :

I think it was released from your account in an activation sense, but not in the contract/payment sense.

Nathan :

Theoretically, it may have slipped through the cracks because someone (probably whomever you talked to on the phone) didn't complete some paperwork they were supposed to.

Nathan :

and you may be able to get away with selling it.

Customer:

oh ok, yeah I was checking and these are going for $1200 on ebay right now

Customer:

I don't want to cheat them though

Nathan :

However, I would consider the risk of being charged full price for the phone by ATT if discovered to outweigh the benefit of what you can turn around and sell the phone for yourself to cover what you paid for it.

Nathan :

So it really would be cheating the phone company, if you got away with it, and it could come back to bite you in the end.

Nathan :

And there is no guarantee that whoever buys it would be able to activate it as well. I would suspect they could, but ATT could relock it at any time, if they caught on.

Customer:

yeah I will just call them and tell them, I really want to switch the one I got in the store for this one because I really wanted white

Nathan :

I'm sure they would do that for you,

Nathan :

just take it in to a retail store, you should have 30 days to return/exchange,

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

Nathan :

typically they'll charge some restocking fee on the one you bought at the store initially, but you can probably get the manager to waive that, especially since you're doing the right thing in returning this one.

Nathan :

You're very welcome.

Customer:

ok maybe I will try that and try to get the restocking waived

Customer:

I am giving you an excellent rating now

Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience: Own/operate computer networking/IT company.