Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years ExperienceCCNA Network EngineerA+ Net+ Linux & Windows OSC++ Programming

My windows live e-mail will open but not download e-mail. it

My windows live e-mail will open but not download e-mail. it says that I am working off line. Comcast & I reset the password. no help. I get a screen that says enter the user name and password XXXXX I do but it does not down load inccoming mail and I cannot send out.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

For some reason Windows Live email is linked to Internet Explorer and if work offline is ticked on IE then your email wont download.

What you should do is, open Internet Explorer, click on Tools then make sure Work Offline is not enabled (if it's enabled you will see a tick on it, so click it to untick it)

Let me know how this goes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

martin, it is having no effect, just to be sure you are saying the work off line should be left unchecked ?

Yes, work offline should not be ticked as it affects Windows Live Mail directly. If that still doesn't let you retrieve your email then do the following:

Within Internet Explorer,

Press Alt+F to get the menu drop down, then tick Work Offline.

Making sure it is now ticked, go back into Windows Live Mail and click the Send/Receive button. If you are being asked to go online, click Yes

If you don't get prompted to go online then go back into Internet Explorer, press Alt+F to get the drop down menu and *untick* Work Offline.

Close your email program, reopen it and try again.

Report to me what errors you get when you try clicking on Send/Receive

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried it with no change. it asks me to verify user name and password XXXXX I worked with Comcast yesterday to make sure it is correct. the other error box says it does not recognize server "" w/error code 0x800ccc0d. I get another error code of " 0x800ccc92" saying logon failure.

Ok thanks for that info, the mail server is correct so we will skip to the second error 0x800ccc92

Error 0x800ccc92 means it is rejecting your username, password, or both so you might want to verify that the username is XXXXX XXXXX correctly if you think you are already typing the correct password XXXXX and over but it is definitely an error that has to do with incorrect login details.

Are you using your full email as the username or just the first part before the @ symbol?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess this cost me $38.00 to find out I am an idiot. left two symbols of my e-mail address. I am getting my e-mail now. thank you Martin.

Hey nobody is an idiot! It happens to the best of us Steve, don't be hard on yourself :)

I'm glad this issue has been resolved.

If you have any doubts or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Thank you very much for the positive feedback and bonus Steve, remember if you ever need to contact me personally for a computer question I am available at the following URL:

Have a lovely day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you are welcome