Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
50064670

I had to re-install Wordperfect x5 (Windows Vista) and now cannot save

I had to re-install Wordperfect x5 (Windows Vista) and now cannot save a file to the c drive root directory. Before re-installing, this was never a problem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

It sounds like there might be a problem with privileges creating a file in your C: root directory, are you able to create any other random document in there so we can see if it's only WordPerfect that can't save files there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just tried to save a file created with NotePad and got "a required privilege was not is not held by the client". The userid I am using has adminstrative rights.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Great, that tells us that it's not a WordPerfect specific problem.

What I'll get you to do is disable UAC (User Account Control). The way you do that is:

1) Click Start, type UserAccountControlSettings then hit Enter

2) Once the window comes up, put the slide bar right down to the bottom then hit OK. Verify you want to make those changes and restart only if necessary.

Go back into the C: drive and see if you can create another file, let me know if you can and I'll show you the next step.

If you need to restart and want to come back to this window, write this link down so you know where to go:

http://goo.gl/bvg84U

Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The search for UserAccountControlSettings came back negative. Is there a way to access this via Control Panel?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

How about typing the full path:

C:\Windows\System32\UserAccountControlSettings.exe

or

%systemroot%\System32\UserAccountControlSettings.exe

Alternatively, you can go to Start, type msconfig hit Enter

Then go into the Tools tab, select Change UAC Settings, click Launch, and then disable it from that window.

Let me know how you go

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

UserAccountControlSettings.exe does not appear under C:\Windows\System32 so I went to msconfig. Change UAC Settings does not appear under the Tools tab but Disable UAC does appear. I checked that. It requires a reboot. By the way, there is a similar function under Control Panel that turns off UAC. I did that also and it also requires a reboot. I am assuming that doing both is actually doing the same thing as is okay to do. So the question is, do you want me to reboot now and then get back via htt;//goo.gl/bvg84u?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they are both the same only the command was a much simpler/quicker way to do it.

Yes, please disable it and then reboot and I will be here waiting, here's the address again

http://goo.gl/bvg84U

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Rebooting now.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello Fred,

Are you able to view this?

I sent you a link to this question on the new one you opened.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Actually Windows Vista dosent allow non-admins to save files to root. Disabling UAC is not good because it will affect your system security. If you like to save files to your C drive, just run the program (Any programs like Wordperfect or Notepad) as administrator. Right click on the program shortcut and select Run as Administrator. Then windows will open and run that program with admin rights. And you will able to save the file on your C drive.

Try and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design