Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax

When Outlook is downloading e-mails it frequently downloads

When Outlook is downloading e-mails it frequently downloads them all (say there are 11 in a batch) except the final one, where it just hangs with the status in the bottom bar saying "downloading 11 of 11 (3.8MB of 3.8MB)".
At this point Outlook will no longer send or receive anything else, and won't properly close down when I close it (the Outlook symbol stays greyed out in the bar at the bottom).
Then the only way I can get it to work and/or close Outlook is to shut down the computer completely and restart.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 10 months ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name isXXXXX will be happy to assist you today.
---
Hello sir/madam, are you currently using the computer in question now?

Customer:

Yes

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

are you using a hotmail account? (in outlook)

Customer:

Yes, using Hotmail connector as well as another standard e-mail account.

Customer:

Sorry, I meant Outlook Connector

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it seems outlook cannot download it, can you go to your hotmail (from web: www.hotmail.com)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

is that email there? (in your inbox)

Customer:

I've just checked on the hotmail account via the web and and all the e-mails there are in the account that I view via Outlook

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you close outlook, and open it again

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

is outlook trying to download that 3.8 mb file ?

Customer:

No, it won't let me. I click on the 'close' box, but as per my original question, the Outlook symbol stays visible but greyed out in the task bar at the bottom and won't shut down completely unless I shut down the whole computer

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you do this:

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

open outlook, and let outlook download the file,

Customer:

Even if I use task manager and close the Outlook.exe process from there as well it won't do it.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and switch to offline mode. do you know how to switch to offline mode in outlook?

Customer:

Outlook is already open but hanging. I can't therefore now close/open outlook whilst we're on here for the reason stated above

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you go to add-ins section. do you know how ?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(add-in manager)

Customer:

I think so, just a sec..

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

waiting

Customer:

I've just looked but can't find add-ons in Outlook

Customer:

can you tell me where to look in the toolbars

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

what is the outlook version? (outlook 2003, 2007, 2010 etc)

Customer:

2007

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

On the Tools menu, click Trust Center, and then click Add-ins.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you go to add-ins from tools > trust center >add-ins

Customer:

ok, I'm there...

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

do you have any add-ins?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(installed)

Customer:

various - do you want to know them all?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you disable all of them? (reason why you are not able to close outlook is that one of the addins is damaged)

Customer:

It doesn't seem to give me an option to disable them from here: it's just showing a box with the name, location and type of add-in

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

do you see , "Manage: " ?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

manage com addins

Customer:

no

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

at bottom, what do you see ?

Customer:

There's just a box which displays the description of the add-in highlighted, then below that is a tick option box which says "apply security configuracion of macros.." etc. (sorry, my version is in Spanish so I'm having to translate to you as I go along)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it looks like that?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Ok, now I see how to disable them using the option box at the bottom - have done so..

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

do you see , "Manage: " ?

Customer:

and have clicked to close Outlook..

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

were you able to disable all of the addons ?

Customer:

yes; but the Outlook icon is still sitting greyed out in the task bar at the bottom

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

we need to restart your computer

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you restart your computer

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and when you come back, check outlook

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

because even if we disabled all of the addins, one of the addins was already running in background

Customer:

yes, but then I lose connection here... how do I get back on to here?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

you can open this page

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and we can continue

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

i will be here waiting

Customer:

ok. I'll do that now.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

waiting

Customer:

Ok, I've closed down and re-opened Outlook..

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

now can you close outlook

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

are you able to close it?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and then open it?

Customer:

yes, that seems to have done it. Although there doesn't seem to be any new e-mail in the inbox that would account for the one it appeared to be trying and failing to download..

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you try to send a message (with attachment) to your own email address

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and check if you are able to download it

Customer:

Ok..hang on a sec..

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(you can attach a file with 3-4 mb. for example you can attach a music file (mp3) for test)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

waiting

Customer:

Just checking - do you mean via my standard e-mail account (as I've disabled hotmail connector)? And I don't have any music files on this computer! Any other suggestions?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

since we are testing outlook, we need to try it with outlook

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

in your outlook,

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you send a message to your own email, so we can check if your outlook can receive it without problems

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(we need to find a file for testing)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

do you have any files you can attach, with 3-4 mb filesize?)

Customer:

Sorry, I meant in Outlook but did you mean to send to and from my ordinary mail server address not the hotmail one?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it is not important, (because we are testing outlook, not accounts )

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

you can use any account in your outlook

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

which email address is linked to your outlook ?

Customer:

Er, both - standard one via my isp and the hotmail one.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

let's try your isp one

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

isp will be faster to attach and send

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

(since you are connect to internet through your isp)

Customer:

I've just sent one with a video attached and it's gong out and been received ok

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

so this fixed the problem (disabling addins)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it seems one of the addins was checking (or scanning) the file

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and it was causing the problem

Customer:

It appears to have done - but the problem didn't happen every time I used Outlook, only sometimes, so it's impossible to be sure

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it seems it was doing this, when you have a large file to receive

Customer:

And the supposed e-mail number (say) 11 of 11 has never landed.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes, it was stuck there

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

probably the file (attached to the message) was causing this, because one of the addins was trying to open/scan the file

Customer:

But when this has happened before and I check the e-mails on my phone (I check them on there for anything urgent, but leave them on the server to ensure that they always go to my desktop also to actually work from), there never is any e-mail that hasn't landed - the two always match up apart from the 'mystery' file.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

your other computer was able to receive the file but your computer was not able to receive it because it seems there was a problem with your own computer (add-ins) , since we disabled the add-ins, probably this fixed the problem now

Customer:

No I think you've misunderstood: all the e-mails that landed ok on my phone, also landed ok on my desktop (this computer). But then this computer then seems to be trying to download another/further mail that it hangs on

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

i understood, it is strange, did you receive that 3.8 mb file on your phone?

Customer:

No

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

by the way, it seems your outlook was able to download the file completely (it says 3.8 of 3.8, which means 100%)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

i think, at the end, it was not able to disconnect from the email server for some reason (maybe because of the damaged add-in)

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

were you having this error frequently?

Customer:

No, it didn't. I can't find what I originally typed but it wasn't the full size of the file: it was only (say) at 3.67 of 3.8 when it hung

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it seems your add-in tried to scan the file and it was not able to do so, so it was stuck there

Customer:

No, sometimes the problem occurred, sometimes it didn't. But when it did, it would occur for several days, then not occur for a while again.

Customer:

I'm going to have to go now; I don't think we've found the solution to the main problem, but we do to the inability to shut down when it happens. I'll try to work through the add-ins one by one to figure out which one causes the shut-down problem.

Customer:

Thank you.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

you are welcome

Experience: Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax