Cris
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.
10156100

My Dell Vostro would not wake up from sleep mode. I pulled

My Dell Vostro would not wake up from sleep mode. I pulled the power cord and put it back in and now it makes a short grinding noise when the power button is pushed but will not boot up. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question, my name is Cris.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it appears your hard drive seems to have gone bad. The grinding noise is coming from the drive, are you getting the Dell logo when you boot up your PC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, nothing is happening. Just a short grinding noise that repeats about every 10 seconds or so.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
When you pull out the power cord you are doing a hard shut down. Which is never a good thing especially by pulling up the power cord so abruptly. It would be better to hold the power button until the system shuts down.

It comparable to the power going out which can cause damage to your hardware such as the hard drive or motherboard. The issue with the noise is coming from your hard drive. The drive is the only piece inside with a moving part which is the motor that spins the hard drive.

My recommendation is to have a computer expert take a look at your PC. The drive maybe able to have the data recovered. But that will take a expert who has data recovery knowledge.

I hope this helps let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I realize that pulling the cord is not good but I wanted to make sure that it was completely down. I traced the noise to the DVD drive by unplugging it and then replugging it at the connection in back coming from the power supply. The noise goes away, but it still will not boot up. Any more thoughts?

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me if when you turn on the PC if you can hear the hard drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not hear anything from the hard drive. Two fans rotate for a couple seconds and then stop. About 10 seconds later, they cycle again. This repeats but I never hear the hard drive and nothing comes up on either of the dual screens.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to say this Paul but you have most likely have two issues a motherboard that has gone bad. Also maybe a failed drive, the drive will not know unless it it removed and connected to another PC.

How long have you had the PC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had it for a couple of years. The interesting thing is that this has been an intermittent problem (happened before now and then). I would let it sit for a while powered down and then retry and apparently would just get lucky. I am now hoping that will happen just one more time so that I can get another "current" backup of the files.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
From the symptoms you have described from the very start the grinding noise sounded like your hard drive.

That is a common noise heard from the hard drive. Very odd that it would be your DVD drive but I guess stranger things have happened. It doesn't appear your PC is even staying on long enough for you to see if the drive turns on.

I am pretty certain the problem is a failed motherboard. I would advise not keep trying to turn on the PC to many times because you do not want to further cause any damage to the hard drive. Let it sit a few hours and give it a shot to see if it turns on and do a backup.

If not you can remove the drive and purchase a IDE/SATA to USB adapter which is very inexpensive. That will allow you to connect the drive to another PC and if the drive is OK you can navigate through the file structure and backup the data.

Click here>>>Adapter

I hope this helps and if you any further questions will be glad to answer them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Cris. I appreciate your help and especially the tip on connecting the hard drive to another PC. If the hard drive is ok, can I just purchase a new computer and install this existing hard drive as a second drive for the new computer?

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can but honestly the USB adapter would be much easier to connect to any PC.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience: 6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.