Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

My laptop is running very hot. It is about 3-4 years old.

My laptop is running very hot. It is about 3-4 years old. Why?
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Could you specify the make and model of your laptop, please? Also, does your laptop shut down intermittently as well?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sony vaio

model #...where do I find it

laptop does not shut down intermittently

is the fan going out?

How long til it crashes?

Okay; before I provide you with my suggestions, I would like you to download a free utility, SpeedFan, using the following link:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_speedfan/ (Click on the green 'Download latest version' button to the right of the page)

Please run and install the utility, then open it up. Let me know what the 'Ambient' and 'Temp1' stats show up for your computer, please.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

DON'T KNOW HOW TO OPEN IT UP

After installing the program, just go to Start and search for SpeedFan - it should bring up the program accordingly. Do keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CPU FAN 1980 RPM; FAN 2 0RPM
WHERE IS AMBIENT AND TEMP 1?

I have included a screenshot for you now, as follows:

graphic

Please keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

TEMP3 OC

TEMP1 47C

TEMP2 47C

CORE0 36C

CORE 1 34C

Is this what you are looking for? These are the last 4 numbers on the chart.

Yes, thank you for the information. These stats look all right; your computer is not overheating based on these temperatures, so you should be just fine for now. However, I would just advise you to take some precautionary measures, as follows:

Notebook PCs have vents located around the case to allow air to flow through the case. If these vents become clogged or heat generating parts become covered with dust, the fan cannot cool the components properly, causing the computer to overheat frequently. If there is dust in the vents, you should clean the computer by blowing out the dust from around the fan and heat shield. This prevents dust from accumulating.

Use a can of compressed air (a vacuum cleaner on blow function or a hair dryer in cool air mode can also be used, though the can of compressed air is better suited for this task) to remove dust from the computer's vents and prevent overheating. Removing the dust increases the air flow to improve cooling.

The cooling vents are located at the left side/back of your laptop. You can identify the vents by looking for the copper or black fins inside the vents.

Hope it helps. Thank you!

Regards