Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
62669195

I just bought a Lenovo H520 (57317326) PC. My old HP computer

I just bought a Lenovo H520 (57317326) PC. My old HP computer crashed and I want to install the 2nd drive from the HP into the Lenovo. I physically installed it but it is not seen as a 2nd drive in the Lenovo. I looked at BIOS but it's not there only the C: drive. The HP PC was a 32 bit machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. You mentioned your computer crashed can you tell me what you mean when you say it crashed? Because if that computer crashed there is the possibility that the hard drive had crashed and is no longer operational.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Charles,

I wasn't able to view all folders on the C: drive. I'm trying to extract the "My Pictures" folder that I created on this 2nd drive.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

Is the old drive SATA based (thin wire connected to the back of the drive to the motherboard) or is it an IDE (ribbon based cable)

On the back of the old HP drive do you see any jumpers or pins?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jeremy,

Doing fine today even better if I can get this 2nd drive up and running.

Yes, it's an SATA cable. The drive is only about 6 months old. It's a 500GB drive.

No, I didn't see any jumpers on the rear of the drive.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Does your new computer have any other SATA ports on the motherboard? The best solution here will most likely be an external enclosure for the sata drive.

Also when the drive is connected, can you touch it to feel for a vibration, curious to see if it's getting power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have the PC open right now since I'm using it.

I can try to move it enough to remove the side panel and check for heat.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Sure no problem take your time :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the side panel and felt the drive. It's fairly cool but I can feel what appears to be a motor drive vibration. I felt the C: drive and feels only a little warmer.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the drive may still be okay, I have seen where some computers have issues detecting certain drives.

Here is what I would do.

See if the Lenovo has another SATA port on the motherboard. If so try another port. Make sure the power connector and sata connector are tightly secure on the HP drive.

If it still does not detect the drive a USB enclosure will do the trick

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817388017

This one above is the one I use for my computer repairs. All you do is insert the HP drive into the encosure, then attach the USB cord to the Lenovo and it will bring up the autoplay in Windows to browse the old drive

The pictures are going to be located under either:

the Documents and Settings\Username\Pictures folder

or the \users\Username\Pictures folder

If you have any issues with the enclosure please feel free to reply to me anytime and i'll be here to help you in any way I can Smile

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated) Laughing(To rate my help click the smiley faces below then press the submit button)

Also if you need any computer help in the future, you can return to this chat anytime day or night (I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience: Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's tough to rate the service since I don't know if it helps my problem Jeremy. But I'll rate it OK.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
No problem You can reply to me anytime or wait to rate until we get everything together :)