Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

my laptop wont boot. I tried removing the battery and unplugging

my laptop wont boot. I tried removing the battery and unplugging and holdin power switch for 20 seconds and then plugging in but no help. any more suggestions? Its a model UL80 J
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Could you let me know the make and model of your laptop, please? Also, when you try to power on the laptop now, what exactly happens?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Asus UL80 J fan runs and asus and intel logos

comes on

Okay; after the logos come up, what happens next? Does it get stuck at that screen itself?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes that's all that happens if I touch the on/off button it turns off immediately.. I also tried to use my asus restore disc. the disc spins up in the dvd drive but nothing else

Okay; now, please tap down the F12 key repeatedly at bootup; does a Boot Options screen come up?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no boot screen but the logo screen goes away and a semi lighted blank screen

Hmm; now, please reboot the laptop, then tap down F1/F2 at bootup. Does either of the keys bring up the BIOS Setup screen?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

F2 brought up bios

Okay; good. Now, please go to the 'Boot' menu - what's listed as the first boot device there?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

boot configuration

UEFI Boot Disabled

PXE ROM and its dis abled

boot option 1 says P0: ST950032AS

says P1: HL-DT-ST DVRA...

Hard drive BBS Priorites

cd/DVD Rom Drive BBS Priorities

Delete boot option

Okay; please switch P1 and P0 now; i.e. make your DVD drive the first boot device. Done that, save changes and exit, then boot up once again - this time with the ASUS restore disk inserted. Does it boot up from the disk now?

Do keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

loading files

Okay; perfect. Once it's done loading files, you just need to follow the on-screen directions to restore your computer back to factory settings accordingly. If you get stuck at any step, just let me know.

Do keep me posted; thank you.

Regards
If the system recovery resolves your issue with booting up, you may just rate my answer below; otherwise, please reply back to me, and I'll be happy to follow up further accordingly. Thanks!

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should I recover to a partition? if so there are 2 on my hd. one of them is20002 MB and the other is 119232 MB which on should I use? or should I do the entire drive and lose all my data which I really don't care about

I assume you are getting three recovery options, as follows:

Recover Windows to first partition only.
Recover Windows to entire HD.
Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.

If so, I would recommend going ahead with the first option itself, as this option deletes only the first partition and allows you to keep other partitions, and to create a new system partition as drive "C".

If you are getting any other options instead, please let me know.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there are 2 partitions one of them (smallerone) is empty the other larger one is where every thing is now

Ah, I see. In that case, please recover to entire HD now - which will delete all partitions from your hard disk drive and create a new system partition as drive "C".

Do keep me posted.

Regards