Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

Can I add a second hdd to a K450?

Can I add a second hdd to a K450?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I understand you want to know if you can add a second hard drive to the K459 can you please tell me the make of the machine so I know what I am looking at? Is this a desktop or a laptop computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ideacenter K450

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is an IdeaCenter K450 desktop

Yes you can add an additional hard drive. I have located the instructions for you. Keep in mind you will need to have adobe reader to view this. Here is the link: http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/ic_k4_ug_v3.0_win8_en_r_online_20130517.pdf

You will need to go down to page 48 down to 53 to show you how to put in or remove a hard drive. By the way the hard drive connector type is sata. Please let me know if you have further questions on this before giving any rating. Thank you.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let my Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Those are instructions on REPLACING the hdd. I want to ADD one.

It's the same principal. The original HDD is in the same kind of connection and same caddy.
On page 53 on the bottom drive bay below the one your hard drive currently resides in that's the one you want to put the second hard drive into. You will need to use the removal procedure to pull it's drive bay caddy out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my previous response? I have placed the 2nd HDD in the caddy, have the SATA cable connected, but do not see an extra power connector of the correct type.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the first I am hearing the message. Ok the power cords coming from the power supply you should be able to follow those till you get to one that has it. usually there is another power connector on the same cable as the original HDD. You would need to look for it. If not you would need to get a splitter for it. Or an adapter to make a 4 pin to a sata. Just make sure because I can show you where to get it if there is no other power connector for sata.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Looks like 4 pin to sata is the solution, as there are no other sata power connectors.

OK there are two ways to go about this. The first yes you can get the adapter. You can either locate one at a local radioshack or computer supplies store or you can order one. I will show you a link. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=4+pin+to+sata&_sacat=0&_from=R40

It's cheaper to order them hear. That's up to you however.Smile

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Charles. Looks like that will work. I may need to look for a straight to right angle sata data cable, as I am not sure I can get the cover on with the one I have.

Those are also available at any computer store as well or you can order it. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=4+pin+to+sata&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=Sata+cable&_sacat=0