Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an old Packard Bell EasyNote R1978 D, bougth in Sweden

I have an old Packard Bell EasyNote R1978 D, bougth in Sweden more than 5 years ago.
I have now installed Microsoft Virusprotection essential and suddenly I can´t log in to the computer without sending the Windows product key to MS. Since the computer is rather old I can`t read the label on the bottom. P/N: PB42DD0268 (Windows XP preinstalled)
Can You help me?
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

We will try to undo the change you made installing Essential which set off the need to activate Windows.

Turn off the computer.

Turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu

Choose

Last Known Good Configuration.

Let this complete and tell me if you are still having the problem please.

Also, instead of essentials, use this free program that gives the same level of protection, but will not cause this problem.

Click Me To View

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By tapping F8 I only get the question from where I want to boot. CD-ROM, Hard disk.... When chosing hard disc the same problem occur

ok, then wait till you see the message telling you which key to press for boot options Lars, and when you see that, then keep tapping F8.

If this fails use F5 instead.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By still tapping F8 I got the possibility to choose "start windows from last working configuration"

But the same windows appear where I am asked to activate windows

ok, you are able though to get into windows if you close the request to activate Lars?

Or it stops you there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can choose "yes" or "no" (not close the wind) to the question "This ex. of windows has to be activated before you can log in. do you want to do this now?

When choosing "no" I am only put to the welcome window again where i click "owner" and once again asked to activate and so on.

ok, do the following Lars.

Get back to the F8 menu

Choose Safe Mode

Login using an administrator user account.

Click Start, Run

Type CMD in the run textbox and click on OK. This will open the command prompt window.

Type these commands and press enter. Then click OK on each prompts :

regsvr32 regwizc.dll
regsvr32 licdll.dll

Type this last command (type exactly as what you see here):

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

Wait for a couple of minutes because the last command will not show anything on the screen. However, it will reset the licensing components in the background.

Then restart and tell me please if you can now login normally.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Richard!

now it looks ok.

/Lars

Perfect Lars!

It was the activation files that were corrupt

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you