John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ Years in the computer industry
60674955

After I updated to iOS7 this morning, the computer asked to

After I updated to iOS7 this morning, the computer asked to restart. Before doing it, it asked if I wanted to save the Word doc I was using. I said yes. Then I opened the Word file I was working on and now the version that is there is very old. The full document--as I last saved it before the operating system install!!-- is gone??? I dont have Time Machine set up., UGH Cant seem to find in Autorecover. Dont have "versions" enabled in word either. HELP?? Freaking out.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm running 10.8.5

I updated to the new OS this morning, btw

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Liz.

Sadly, Autorecover is not very reliable at all. Frown Without a proper back up it may be difficult to recover but that doesn't mean we can't try!

First, even though you didn't delete the file, you may want to look in Trash, specifically for a "Recovered Items" folder. Damaged files may end up in this special folder after a restart.

If that is not present, have you tried a Spotlight search to verify the file was not saved to another folder by accident?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OH MY GOD I just found it in the trash. I am beyond grateful to you. You rock.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Awesome!

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ Years in the computer industry