Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years ExperienceCCNA Network EngineerA+ Net+ Linux & Windows OSC++ Programming

Hey guys! I use Google Chrome and I like to use the "New Tab"

Hey guys! I use Google Chrome and I like to use the "New Tab" as my homepage. About a month ago something went haywire and I noticed my homepage was totally different; I did some searching and found it was a virus disguised as my homepage (can't remember offhand what the name of it was). At any rate, I was able to locate it in my system (even Avast! didn't find it) and got rid of it. Now I'm having what appears to be the same issue, only this time it looks even different. It's basically a white screen with a search bar and some popular extension-like tabs, but no Chrome or Google icons anywhere. It says "newhub" at the bottom left of the screen. I tried looking it up but I can't seem to find it online. What's weird, too, is that when I click on what looks like a settings tab, it does take me to my Chrome settings page. The other thing is that the suspicious New Tab page is named "New Tab" just like Chrome, so I'm stuck. I have a screenshot of this page if you need it. Any help would be appreciated!
Hello! Welcome back to JustAnswer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

You may set Chrome to open "New Tab" going to the Settings (over on the top right under the 'X') and selecting "Open the New Tab page" under "On Startup"

If you feel you have malware or a toolbar / extension not letting you use Chrome properly then go down in the Options menu and click "Show advanced settings..." then go right down and click on "Reset browser settings", that option will reset Chrome to what it was like when you first installed it and by default I believe the "New Tab" option is enabled.

Let me know if you require any further instructions for these steps, I'll be more than happy to provide them!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Martin,

My apologies if this is a duplicate second question...I hit reply and I was navigated back to the original question.

Anyway, your solution worked, and thanks so concern now is that this might be some weird malware that's not showing up in my list of installed programs, nor is Avast! finding it. Am I safe to assume that I'm clear for take-off or should I run Malwarebytes or something?

My solution most certainly would have set your home page to open "New Tab" but that is no guarantee you have no malware on your computer and it never hurts to run a thorough scan every now and then with Malwarebytes just to make sure.

Do you need to know where to download it or were you just asking for my opinion on this one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just needed your opinion...I am very familiar with Malwarebytes, so I'll give it a run.

Thanks again!

My pleasure.

Have a lovely day / night!

Thank you very much for the positive rating! :)