Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry

I have Windows 8 on a Lenovo laptop. Yesterday, I decided

I have Windows 8 on a Lenovo laptop. Yesterday, I decided to set up Facebook on the start page. As I was setting it up, it required me to give Microsoft control of various functions. Later, when I went to open my photos on the desktop, I got an error message saying "Pictures.library-ms is no longer working and can safely be deleted." Yikes! I went back to the Windows 8 start screen and clicked on the photos icon. When I tried to open a photo folder, the photos disappeared! All I got was a gray box with the date of the photo at the bottom. Are my photos gone forever? What can I do?
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Your photos should still be there.

Can you press the Windows Key + E

In the new window, click on Libraries, and tell me if your photos are there.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The new window came up, I clicked on libraries and pictures and got the same error message.

ok, you will have to do the following Rona

Right-click on the picture library and choose Delete.
Click Yes when asked for confirmation.

Note: Deleting a library does not delete the photos. However, you may need to re-add or include your folders manually, if needed.

Then, in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer, right-click on Libraries and click Restore default libraries.

This recreates the library that you just deleted and you should then be able to access your photos again.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, 2 problems. I right clicked delete and then realized that the documents library and the music library were also deleted. Now Where do I find the navigarion pane of windows explorer? I opened Explorer but I don't see a navigation pane.

It did this as they were also corrupted

Press the windows key + E

this opens it again

Then right click on the word Libaries and click Restore default libraries.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Thank you