Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Experience:  MCSE, MCP
18224842

I have a 500Gb Freecom toughdrive. The integral USB cable

I have a 500Gb Freecom toughdrive. The integral USB cable has failed. This has happened to me with a previous toughdrive. I solved this last time by putting the tough drive into a new enclosure, which worked fine. I have done this again this time. When I plug it into my PC the PC pings like it has found it, the drive lights up and whirrs as usual but when I go to My Computer the drive isn't listed. When I click on the green arrow eject button, the drive is there but just as Mass Storage device with no drive letter next to it. The device appears in Device Manager as Mass Storage. Any ideas?
Hi and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Let's try manually assigning a drive letter manually to the drive and see if that works. Please do the following:

1. Click Start -> Run.
  2. In the Run window, type diskmgmt.msc and click OK to open the Disk Management window.
  3. Look for the Toughdrive; if you don't see it stop here and let me know. If you do see it please right click it and choose Change drive letters and path.
  4. Click on the Add button and then choose the next available drive letter.
  5. Click OK to save your changes.
  6. Check under My Computer to see if the new drive appears.

Let me know if that doesn't do the trick. Thanks!

Erik B., Computer Support
Experience: MCSE, MCP
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have stopped at step 3 as toughdrive isn't listed.

OK in Device Manager do you see the toughdrive listed under Disk Drives, or only under USB devices?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does not appear at all under disk manager. Under Device Management, if I look in USB Controllers I see a list which includes a mass storage device and when I right click on it, under properties it says it is a USB to serial ATA bridge. When I unplug it, this entry disappears.

Gotcha, okay it sounds like the drive itself may have failed, but let me opt out so you can get a second opinion as well. Other techs will look at this and respond. Thank you and sorry I wasn't more assistance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you. Hope the drive hasn't failed. Will cry! I just sat down to transfer all the data as I am leaving my job, keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for trying.

Erik was definitely on the right track, it recognizs that something is attached, when you see USB to SATA bridge. but the drive itself is dead enough to the point it cannot be read, likely the arm that goes over the magnetic discs is bad. As a last attempt you can try plugging the drive directly in to the computer, if it does not work. You could call a company i've referred others to for physical retrieval from the drive, though it's rather expensive. they're called

"Fat Guy & Bald Guy Data Recovery Services" you can call them at(NNN) NNN-NNNNdue to the nature of the service, they charge 699 plus up to 200 for any necessary parts, this is physical drive recovery in a clean room, for data that absolutely CANNOT be lost.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help.