ragankel0323
ragankel0323, Sr. Systems Analyst
Experience:  If it boots up, logs on, or has a touch screen, chances are I have the experience you are looking for :-).
75502995

I have a vaio laptop model: PCG-91111 product name: VPCEC3AfX.

I have a vaio laptop model: PCG-91111 product name: VPCEC3AfX. The hard drive has died, alas, after just 2 years from too much spinning. I will have a new drive installed ... can I have a solid state drive installed?

In any event I need some SW. I need to get a recovery disk to reinstall Win 7. Can you supply it? How much $? Also I guess I had a demo Office ... There were ads on the right side of the screen. How can I reload that or must I buy and install a regular Office ?
FRED
Category: Computer
Expert:  ragankel0323 replied 1 year ago.

ragankel0323 :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with this question.

ragankel0323 :

Give me just a moment to do a little research.

ragankel0323 :

You can indeed replace the failed drive with a solid state drive. I have looked around and found an acceptable drive on Amazon.

ragankel0323 :

I am looking for recovery options now. I cannot supply recovery media for you, but I can point you in the right direction. Give me a moment to locate a download link or instructions .

ragankel0323 :

Click here for instructions on replacing your hard drive.

ragankel0323 :

Click here for recovery instructions.

ragankel0323 :

You can obtain Microsoft Office Demo software here.

ragankel0323 :

Recovery disks can be obtained here. Prices vary from model to model. You might want to consider purchasing a full version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.

ragankel0323 :

Is there anything else I can help you with IRT this issue. I will research until you are completely satisfied with my service.

Customer: I have just seen the info on http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W19MO for the samsung 500GB ss drive. Will this fit and work in my pc? I think I prefer this option. Also i don't know which version of office to get ... If i download a demo version does it work for only 60 days? Hardly worth the effort. Or does it work but display ads? A new machine with the capability of my current pc is over $1200. So I have plenty of margin to upgrade. What do you think?
The hard drive you selected will also work with your computer.

If you download a trial version of MS Office, it will only work for 60 Days. You can purchase MS Office for a little over $100 or if you do not necessarily need all of the functionality provided by MS Office, you could use Google Docs or Open Office. Both of which are free to use. There will be a significant speed boost after you add the Solid State Drive to your system, so if you weren't experiencing slow performance or any other issues prior to your computer crashing there's no need to upgrade. Unless of course spending $300+ on a hard drive, $100+ on an OS, and $100+ on Office products is just too much to swallow.

Computers can be purchased rather inexpensively these days, that is if you don't have a problem moving away from Sony products.

Personally, I would spend the money to maximize the performance of this system and salvage a few more years use. You can max out the RAM easy enough and without much cost, if you so choose.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any additional information.
ragankel0323, Sr. Systems Analyst
Experience: If it boots up, logs on, or has a touch screen, chances are I have the experience you are looking for :-).