RobertFR
RobertFR, Computer Repairer
Experience:  I have worked in IT Quality Engineering for 20+ years and build and fix computers (desktops/laptops) in my spare time.
74928013

My amber sleep mode led indicator wont extinguish,

My amber sleep mode led indicator won't extinguish,
Category: Computer
Expert:  RobertFR replied 1 year ago.

RobertFR :

Hi, my name isXXXXX am in the USA, east coast, but I will keep in mind any time difference and try to be online at your convenience.

RobertFR :

Can you tell me the make and model of the computer and is this a desktop or laptop?

Customer:

G'day Robert: Laptop Toshiba Satellite L750D

RobertFR :

Where on the laptop is the light located? Below the keyboard on the front left?

Customer:

Yes. second light along

RobertFR :

The second light from the left or right?

Customer:

From the left

RobertFR :

That is the Power indicator. If you turn the computer of into Sleep Mode, the indicator will flash amber, one second on, two seconds off.

RobertFR :

It will do this while the system is both shutting down and while it remains off.

RobertFR :

Is the light flashing or steady?

Customer:

The light goes off when I unplug the computer, but then comes back on again after 5 - 10 secs, even with the plug out

Customer:

The light is steady

RobertFR :

Did it just start to exhibit this behavior?

Customer:

Yes.

RobertFR :

Are you using this machine to chat with me right now or another?

Customer:

I have just unplugged the computer without shutting down. The first light (white) and third Light (amber) went off, but the second light, which is now white stayed on

Customer:

I am using the same computer

RobertFR :

Right, the second light, Power, should be white when the computer is on, whether plugged in or not.

Customer:

OK

RobertFR :

I wanted you to try something, but it involves turning off that computer, so we will lose connection until you log back on. Can you make sure you have saved this page as a favorite so you can easily get back to it?

Customer:

I have just started my windows RT and could chat on that one if it helps

Customer:

The second light is now staying white, not XXXXX XXXXXke it should. Could unplugging it while it was still going have fixed it?

RobertFR :

Possibly. I was going to have you shutdown the computer normally, remove the AC adapter, remove the battery, press the power button and hold it for 30 seconds, then plug everything back in and boot up.

RobertFR :

You can still try that if you like. If sometimes fixes things like this, but if it is working normally now then you don't have to.

Customer:

If I shut down and do all that, how do I get back to you?

RobertFR :

Is the computer (and battery) fairly new?

Customer:

18 months old

RobertFR :

You can type this link into your Windows RT machine:

RobertFR :

Or save this page as a favorite on the Toshiba before you shut down.

RobertFR :

If you are going to try it now I will be here when you come back.

Customer:

I'll give it a go and try to get back to you

RobertFR :

Ok.

RobertFR :

Any change?

Customer:

I'm back, and it looks like you are a genius. I did what you said and all seemed OK. I shut down and unplugged, all ok. I have now restarted (obviously) and all still seems OK. Thank you very much for your patience. I will rate below, is that alll I need to do?

RobertFR :

Yes, thanks. I'm glad it is resolved. Nice talking with you.

Customer:

Will I get a receipt? (Tax purposes)

RobertFR :

That, I do not know. I would contact customer service if you don't get something through email.

Customer:

Will do. Thanks again

RobertFR, Computer Repairer
Experience: I have worked in IT Quality Engineering for 20+ years and build and fix computers (desktops/laptops) in my spare time.