Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

My desktop computer randomly shut down today, but I was able

My desktop computer randomly shut down today, but I was able to restart it from the blue screen. I then noticed my computer was running slower than normal. Pages were taking awhile to load. It then crashed again a few minutes after my initial restart. I was able to start a system restore in safe mode. System restore has now been running for over an hour. What do I do? My operating system is windows 7
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer:

I am ready

Shefin :

Is the computer overheating?

Customer:

it doesn't sound or feel like it other than that I don't know how to tell.

Shefin :

SO you have important data in your computer?

Customer:

Hell yes! Lol.. I am also planning my wedding and have a 1000 things to do. I aM most concerned about my excel files, pics, and music, though.

Shefin :

Have you completed the restore?

Customer:

No. It's still running and has been for over an hour.

Shefin :

May I know the make and model number of your computer?

Customer:

My friend just gave me this computer and it may have some custom features, but it's an emachine w5243?

Shefin :

eMachine w5243 is an older computer.

Shefin :

Are you using Windows XP as operating system?

Customer:

Yes but he builds computers and it's been running beautifully for over a month. Unfortunately, his phone was stolen and I can't get him right now.

Customer:

Windows 7

Shefin :

The best option you can try is, complete restore, backup all your files and then, reinstall the operating system.

Shefin :

Completely format it and reinstall it again.

Shefin :

If you restart the computer while restoring it, it may damage the operating system and you will have to reinstall the operating system right after that.

Customer:

My processor went bad in my HP but he was able to save all of my stuff. That's why I now have this computer.

Shefin :

You have stored your data in D and E drive. Right?

Shefin :

Not C drive?

Customer:

I don't know where it's stored.

Shefin :

Do you have Windows 7 disc with you?

Customer:

Is it standard to save my data there? If so, I would imagine that's what he did.

Shefin :

Yes.

Shefin :

Do you have Windows 7 disc with you?

Customer:

No disk for Windows 7

Shefin :

I will tell you the causes for the issues.

Shefin :

Do you get blue screens of death while working?

Customer:

Blue screens of death? I don't know what that is

Shefin :

I will give you a picture.

Shefin :

Please wait.

Shefin :

Something like that and shut the computer off.

Customer:

I clicked on the pic and nothing happens. I can't see anything. I am on my droid.. maybe that's why. I can look it up, if you don't mind waiting?

Shefin :

I do not mid at all.

Customer:

I don't think that happened. My screen went black then said something caused your computer to shut down unexpectedly. Then it restarted and I had a blue or black screen, can't remember. But it was the standard screen that gave me options to restart and I chose restart in safe mode with networking.

Shefin :

That is Advanced Boot Options.

Shefin :

The restore is still going on. RIght?

Customer:

Good to know.

Customer:

Yes

Shefin :

The issue may happen becuase of the following.

Shefin :

1. Operating System (Windows 7) error.

Shefin :

Reinstalling the operating system will resolve the issue.

Shefin :

2. Hard drive.

Shefin :

If the hard drive is bad, or the hard drive has more bad sectors, it will cause the computer to slow down, give you blue screen of death, restarts in the middle of the work and sometimes, does not start the computer and give you message says No boot disk find.

Shefin :

3. RAM sticks.

Customer:

So what do i do to not loose my data if I don't have the Windows 7 disk?

Shefin :

If the RAM sticks are bad, it can cause shutting down the computer middle of the work, slow down the computer, you cannot open more programs at a time, cannot open a big program (becuase the computer hangs or shuts down), and some time does not start the computer and beeps.

Shefin :

First, wait and check if you are able to complete the restore.

Shefin :

If that fails, try booting the computer.

Shefin :

If the computer does not boot, get help from your friend, he will have the Windows 7 disc with him.

Shefin :

He will help you backup your data and reinstall the operating sytem.

Shefin :

There are methods to keep the data, but we do want the Windows 7 disc.

Customer:

How long is too long to wait? Everything I read said it should only take around 45 minutes?

Shefin :

It will not take more than 30 minutes (usually).

Shefin :

If we stop here, it may damage the operating system and we have to get the Windows 7 disc to repair or reinstall it.

Customer:

So it's already been too long then, huh?

Shefin :

Shefin :

Okay.

Shefin :

Lets stop and try reinstalling the computer, if you wish.

Customer:

Where can I get a disk if I can't get in touch with him? I may have my old xp disk for my old HP

Shefin :

Lets stop and try restarting the computer, if you wish.

Shefin :

You have to purchase a Windows disc, because the computer did not come with Windows 7.

Customer:

What if my stuff is on the c drive? Then I aM screwed right?

Shefin :

Otherwise, you can ask your friend for the disc, since he has installed the operating system.

Shefin :

If you reinstall Windows 7, you will get an option to keep the old files that you have on your C drive.

Shefin :

It will make a folder named WindowsOld

Shefin :

And keeps the old files over there.

Customer:

So I will not loose anything?

Shefin :

You can access the folder from your C drive after reinstalling the operating system.

Shefin :

Nothing, if you do it properly.

Customer:

If we stop it now, is there a chance I may not have to reinstall the operating system? Or is that a given?

Shefin :

Since you have already started the restore, and yet not completed, it may damage the operating system.

Shefin :

However, there is a chance to Undo the restore.

Shefin :

But I do not think that you will get the Undofeature, since you have stopped it.

Shefin :

But I do not think that you will get the Undo feature, since you have stopped it.

Customer:

How much does a windows 7 disc cost?

Shefin :

It will cost you much.

Shefin :

Please wait, so that I can give you an approximate price.

Customer:

Is there another way to get it? I mean, I won't be able to connect to the internet without an operating system, right? Unless there is some crazy trick I don't know.. lol

Shefin :

So, it is not a good idea to purchase a new Windows 7.

Shefin :

I would suggest you contact your friend and get Windows 7 disc from him, becuase he has installed it on your computer.

Shefin :

eMachines will not provide you a disc.

Shefin :

So, the options are either contact your friend, or purchase a new one.

Customer:

If I do buy it should I just get windows 8?

Shefin :

You can, if your computer meets the requirements.

Customer:

Well, how do I stop the system restore?

Shefin :

Press and hold the power button till the computer shuts down and restart it.

Customer:

Ok. Should I wait any time before turning it back on?

Shefin :

Does it shows any improvement on the restore?

Customer:

I turned it off and back on. Says its starting windows, but nothing seems to be happening

Shefin :

The Windows sign is spinning?

Customer:

Hold on a sec... It's doing something.

Shefin :

Okay.

Customer:

My desktop is up and there is a box that says system restore did not complete. Your files and settings were not changed. And some other stuff. It gives me an option to run system restore or close

Shefin :

Just close it and check the spedd and other things.

Customer:

Is there anyway you could just call me? This droid is killing me? If not I understand.

Shefin :

I apologize that I cannot contact you by phone.

Shefin :

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Shefin :

Just close it and check the speed and other things.

Customer:

Can I get rid of the info column next to the chat column?

Shefin :

I apologize that I cannot see your window from here.

Shefin :

Can you try to get it off?

Customer:

Should I open the internet?

Shefin :

You may try that.

Shefin :

How is it working now?

Shefin :

Normal?

Shefin :

Or too slow?

Customer:

Hang tight. Last time it worked fine for a minute and then shut down.

Shefin :

Okay.

Customer:

Hold on.. I aM going to try to chat on my computer. Do I need to log out from here before I can do that or will I lose you?

Shefin :
Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me.
Customer:

Then what do I do? I am in my account on my computer but don't see what to do

Shefin :

Do you see My questions?

Customer:

Yes, I aM there but it's just an old question your not there

Shefin :

Are you able to get to the site address copied to your computer?

Customer:

Maybe hold on please

Shefin :

Sure.

Customer:

Jeez... I copied the url to our chat pasted it and emailed it to myself. Then copied it from my email and pasted it in my address bar. I see our chat but no place to type. It's like a screenshot or something.?

Shefin :

Do you think the computer works fine now?

Customer:

It seems like it, but this is what happened last time and then it crashed. So how do I figure it out and prevent it from happening again

Shefin :

Check if it is overheating.

Customer:

It's not.

Shefin :

When you see the screen, that you have got last time, select Start Windows Normally.

Shefin :

Or Start with Last Known Good configuration.

Shefin :

Please do not select Safe mode at first time.

Shefin :

If both of them are not working, get into Safe mode and try a system restore.

Customer:

Okay. Should I just try a system restore now?

Shefin :

You may try that.

Shefin :

But, if it is working fine, please do not do that.

Customer:

Is there away to scan or check my computer for problems other than using avast?

Shefin :
Go to the link given below, download and install Ccleaner.
Customer:

Is the free one ok

Shefin :

Yes.

Shefin :

Please do not purchase anything.

Customer:

Should I choose the filehippo.com or the piriform.com option? They are right next to each other

Shefin :

piriform.com

Customer:

Ok. Downloading now

Customer:

Should I analyze or run cleaner?

Shefin :

First, Analyse.

Shefin :

After Analyze complete, run cleaner.

Customer:

While it's analyzing, I was told there was no need to run defeats on my computer. What are your thoughts on that? I use to do it regularly.

Shefin :

Defeats mean?

Customer:

Defrag

Shefin :

Defrag is a good option is for the hard drive to refresh.

Shefin :

There is no need to do it regularly.

Shefin :

Do it once in a while.

Customer:

That's what I thought. Thanks. Still analyzing. Thank you!!!!! Should we stay on chat until it's finished?

Shefin :

After Analyze, use run cleaner.

Shefin :

Then, use the Registry option that you see on Ccleaner.

Shefin :

Scan for issues and then use Fix selected issues.

Customer:

Should I backup changes to registry?

Shefin :

No.

Shefin :

No need of that.

Customer:

Fix issue or fix all selected issues?

Shefin :

Fix all selected issues.

Customer:

Its finished. Anything else I should do/know?

Shefin :

No. Nothing.

Shefin :

Also, uninstall all unwanted programs from your computer.

Customer:

So were finished with our chat?

Shefin :

Do you have any questions?

Customer:

Should I install a malware program?

Shefin :
It is good you use one like Malwarebytes.
Customer:

Ok thank you! Have a good day

Shefin :

I request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face once you have all the information you need.

Shefin :

It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service.

Shefin :

If you do not feel I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.