Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I have an Asus A53e that will not turn on. I bought a new

I have an Asus A53e that will not turn on. I bought a new power cord because the old one wouldn't work but a day or so ago it smelled like it was burning with the old power cord. I removed it and now the computer will not turn on even with new power cord. I have removed battery a few times and it still will not turn on. What do you think is the problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 11 months ago.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer:

I am ready. I am on my husband's computer as of course you know my computer will not turn on.

Customer:

Do you think I fried the hard drive?

Shefin :

If it is the hard drive, the computer will turn on.

Shefin :
Remove all external devices, CDs, AC Adapter and battery from the computer. Keep the AC Adapter and battery unplugged.
Customer:

Hold on.

Shefin :

Sure.

Customer:

Everything is unplugged and batter is out.

Shefin :
Hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. (Nothing will appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)
Customer:

OK

Shefin :

Then, plug in the AC Adapter only.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

now what?

Shefin :

Do you get any light on the computer?

Customer:

no

Shefin :
Normally power on the notebook by pressing the power button and check if you get any response..
Customer:

Nothing

Shefin :

No light, no LED and no fan, nothing. Right?

Customer:

Nothing

Shefin :

Please remove the Adapter and insert the battery.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

It has been reinserted

Shefin :

Power on the notebook by pressing the power button and check if you get any response.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

nothing

Shefin :

Not even the battery LED?

Customer:

Nothing happens.

Shefin :

It might be the motherboard of your computer.

Customer:

And what does that mean?

Shefin :

The main board inside the computer.

Customer:

Does it mean that my computer will never work again?

Shefin :

What you can try is,

Shefin :

Get another battery and try with the computer (do not purchase it)

Shefin :

If that give you the same response too, it will be the motherboard.

Customer:

So take it into Best Buy and put a new battery in it?

Shefin :

You will have to get the motherboard repaired or replaced.

Customer:

How much does it cost to repair or replace the motherboard?

Shefin :

I would suggest you contact a local technician, and tell him to check with another battery.

Shefin :

Inform him to check if the computer gets power to the motherboard.

Customer:

OK. I will try this. Wondering if I should just buy a new computer. This one is just about 2 years old.

Shefin :

If it is the motherboard, it will cost you much in order to replace it.

Shefin :

And may be more than a new computer.

Customer:

So it would probably be best to just buy a new computer? I also want to know if I fried the motherboard when I smelled that burning smell?

Shefin :

So, check with him, if it is the motherboard, check the cost to replace it, and if it is more, get a new computer instead of repairing it.

Customer:

What kind of computer do you recommend?

Customer:

I thought Asus was a good computer but I am not so happy right now.

Shefin :

Something like that,

Shefin :

It may fried the motherboard too.

Shefin :

Asus is good, but bad thing happened with your computer.

Shefin :
I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear.
Shefin :

But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Shefin :

I cannot recommend you any particular brand. All brand has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Customer:

I understand. I am good to my computer so I don't understand why this happened. It has never been dropped or anything.

Shefin :

It may be the power supply that caused the issue.

Customer:

Like frying my motherboard? LOL.......

Shefin :

Yes.

Shefin :

Voltage changes, or power surge something like that.

Customer:

Trying to not let this ruin my day. Laughter is good medicine.

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Shefin :

You are most welcome!

Shefin :
I request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face once you have all the information you need.
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.