Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist
Experience:  14+ Years of Extensive Computer Repair Experience.

My Lenovo Thinkpad X230 tablet PC (running windows 7) booted

My Lenovo Thinkpad X230 tablet PC (running windows 7) booted oddly today displaying a cmos error. I did not have the presence of mind to record the message properly.

The system time and date were lost, and apparently the fingerprint reader also developed an issue and stopped working. I attempted to access the fingerprint software, but it displays the message: "User was not enrolled or his data cannot be opened".
The details tab says "E72B000D User was not enrolled or his data could not be opened // E72B000D Data in encrypted with a different key"

I find the fingerprint reader an important application as I need to log in in front of student continually. I am also worried about the original source of the problem and whether there is a serious error developing (or already occurring).
Hi and welcome to Just Answer, a Question and Answer Company. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.
**Please keep in mind that I am only compensated when you rate me OK, Good, or Excellent below**

If you had a CMOS error and lost your Data and Time, the first thing that we need to address is the CMOS. You'll need to access the internal 3V Battery and test it with a Volt Meter. Anything between 3.00V - 3.20V is good. If it's anything below 3.00V, replace it and throw the old one away. You'll have to redo the Data and Time again but that should resolve the issue.

As for the FingerPrint Software, if the Software is built into the CMOS (Bios), that potential bad Battery could of also erases the enrolled Fingerprints.

Let me know if you continue to have problems after checking and replacing that battery.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have (after some searching of manuals etc.) checked the CMOS battery. It reads 3.01V, so is perhaps borderline but seems within parameters. Given that the computer is less than a year old (purchased in Jan) I would expect the battery to be good for a while yet!

In any case I still have the issue with fingerprints, which is the central issue I am hoping to address. Can you assist me with this please?

Yeah, those Batteries should last anywhere between 5-10 years and it's voltage shouldn't be that low already. I would go ahead and replace it with a new one because that's border line. They should be less than $5.

Sign in with your normal password XXXXX click Start, enter Device Manager in the box, then press enter. Do you see anything listed with a yellow exclamation mark next to it? Example: TouchStrip Fingerprint Sensor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The device manager reports that the finger print reader is working correctly.

Ok, so no devices show any signs of a fault in the device manager.

If that's the case, completely uninstall the Fingerprint Software, restart, then install the latest version from here: Use the Category drop down box and select 'Finger Reader' then Windows 7. Select the correct bit version (32 or 64) and download the software. If should allow you to register your fingerprint again like before.