arsufi2002
arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified
50085326

My sd cards that have content and played before now dont.

My sd cards that have content and played before now don't. I get a message that they have to be formatted. What happened and what do I do? I don't want to lose content.
Category: Computer
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.

arsufi2002 :

arsufi2002 :

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

arsufi2002 :

This message comes when

arsufi2002 :

1: Particular (sd card) device partition table gets corrupted

arsufi2002 :

2: when device(sd card) gets damaged

arsufi2002 :

Causes:

arsufi2002 :

Improper handling, Removing SD card without making it offline

arsufi2002 :

By the way, which device use this SD card?

arsufi2002 :

camera?

Customer:

They are mini sd cards so I use an adapter card in a plug in that goes into the computer. I've done this many times without a problem. What do you mean by removing the device before going offline?

arsufi2002 :

when you remove sd or external storage device from a computer, you must use Safely Remove hardware and eject media

Customer:

the device is a plastic sdhc/mmc usb20 that the scandisk adapter plugs into ond the mini sd plugs into tha scandisc adapter.

Customer:

i didn't know to "safely remove...etc". Have I hurt the cards? what should I do now?

arsufi2002 :

This will shut any data transfer that's being gone and prepare device for removal

arsufi2002 :

see this image

Customer:

Does that mean I've ruined the mini sd's? Should I try a new adapter?

arsufi2002 :

Full Size Image

arsufi2002 :

Then click the device that you want to remove

arsufi2002 :

which device use this sd card?

arsufi2002 :

(i just want to know whether it works on other device)

arsufi2002 :

If the card is corrupted you will same message on that device too(formatting)

Customer:

I gave you the specs on it. It plugs into a slot in the cumputer and has the sd card in it .

arsufi2002 :

Hope you use computer to copy data on your sd card. But my question is which device us using this sd card? (i mean mobile or cameras)

arsufi2002 :

did you get me

Customer:

I'll try a new adapter and a new device. Tomorrow. If I still have a problem how do I continue with you or do I start over? They are mini sd cards from a camera that have video on them. It is not direct from a camera or computer. I import and then burn disks of what I want.

arsufi2002 :

thanks for that info

arsufi2002 :

could you check whether sd cards if you insert it on camera

arsufi2002 :

i mean the sd card that you have issue

arsufi2002 :

If the card is corrupted, camera wouldn't read and may ask for formatting

arsufi2002 :

could you check whether this sd card work if you insert it on camera

Customer:

It is happening with all my sd cards that all worked in the past. They are from a small security camera that has no viewing option. I've done this for over a year with no problem before.

arsufi2002 :

ok, then we have no other option other than formatting

arsufi2002 :

You may please format sd card and see if it format completes successfully

arsufi2002 :

If it completes successfully, you can use it again

Customer:

I should try a new adapter and a different computer. The format instruction says that if I format I will lose all data on the card. I never had to format before.

arsufi2002 :

Note: Formatting erased all data on sd card

Customer:

I don't want to lose the data on the cards. I have not formated any.

arsufi2002 :

Ok, you may buy new adapter and check it on a different machine.

arsufi2002 :

If it is adapter issue then we are saved

arsufi2002 :

You will get your data back

arsufi2002 :

But if same happens then its better to format sd card since there is no other way

arsufi2002 :

I will send a recovery tool if that happens

arsufi2002 :

This tool can recover data from a formatted device

Customer:

I just tryed a new adapter and I got the same message..."to format...etc"...I never had to before. What changed? I used to get a pop-up to select how I want to view or open content...now I just get the format instruction.

arsufi2002 :

How many sd cards you have?

Customer:

Many...40+? Never had this problem...

arsufi2002 :

does all of them shows this message

Customer:

All these cards worked perfectly before. I've viewed them many times...

Customer:

I tried about 6 or so and got the same message...

arsufi2002 :

do you have a second computer which has card reader on it

arsufi2002 :

if yes, please connect card on it and see status

Customer:

At my office...I'm home now.

arsufi2002 :

If all of them has same issue, then we can't conclude it to be a sd card issue.

arsufi2002 :

Its better to check it on a second computer

arsufi2002 :

(May be your card card reader has the issue)

Customer:

It almost seems that there is a program problem with my computer...maybe I did something when importing or viewing last time when all this started. I'm a REAL novice so forgive my lack of knowledge...

Customer:

How do I check my card reader? is that in the computer or is it the plugin device that holds the card?

arsufi2002 :

No problem, this is how we gain knowledge

arsufi2002 :

yes, the plugin device that hold the card

arsufi2002 :

have you rebooted computer and check

arsufi2002 :

There is nothing we can do with card reader. If it is not working we have to purchase one. (card reader issue is not yet confirmed)

Customer:

I rebooted...I'm now going to try a new reader...hold on please.

Customer:

You get a "smiley"...the new reader worked.

arsufi2002 :

That's a good news!

Customer:

I also used the "safe to remove..." thank you...Vil

arsufi2002 :

You are right, that's the way to remove all external devices

Customer:

I'm signing off...best to you. I'm happy...

arsufi2002 :

Please rate me excellent and leave me good feedback

arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified