Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Experience:  MCSE, MCP

I cant seem to be able to open any excel spreadsheets on my

I cant seem to be able to open any excel spreadsheets on my computer, however I have been able to do this in the past? Why is this?

Hi and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Are you getting an error when you try to open a spreadsheet, or is it trying to open in a different program?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can open a brand new spreadsheet but I cant open ones that I have already saved. When I try and open these an error comes up which says

there was a problem sending the command to the program

Ah I see, a common error in Excel. Can you tell me if you are using 2003, 2007, 2010 or 2013?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am pretty sure I am using 2010. When I go to the start menu and go to click on a new excel spreadsheet it says excel 2010.

Perfect, thank you! XXXXX has actually released an automatic fix for this issue. Here are the exact instructions:

1. Make sure all Excel windows are closed.
  2. CLICK HERE to download the fix from the Microsoft website. Once you click the link you will be asked to Save or Open the file in most cases. Please choose to Save the file and then when the download completes run the file.
  3. The fix will run (it is a very short process).
  4. After it completes, click the Close button and then attempt to open a spreadsheet.

Let me know if that doesn't work; there are other manual ways for us to fix this as well. You can find more information on this page:

THanks again!