James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

My old sony viao laptop packed up so I got a new one and I

My old sony viao laptop packed up so I got a new one and I want to transfer my iphone content onto the iTunes on the new laptop. I could only get the items purchased on itune restored onto the laptop but all other items wouldn't get backed up......can you help out ?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I appreciate the oppurtunity to assist you today.
I will do my best to answer your question!

Do you mean your music, or your apps, or both?

Thanks,

James.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my music & my photo

Thank you.
Are you still able to boot up the old laptop?

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By d way, nice to have you back again James, I am unable to get the laptop booted up...it is just showing white lines on screen....

Okay- I understand.
So the problem is, we have to get access to the laptop's hard drive in order to get the data (photos and music) out of it. This will require a bit of tinkering.
If you are up to it, I can explain how to do it - if not, we will need to use a repair shop and then I can explain what program to use to get to the data once the hard drive is available.

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I may want to try the tinkering !!!!provided it would not require tools I don't have.....and meanwhile I still have same photos and music on my iphone....

Okay, sounds good.
First, you need a simple screwdriver to open the hatch on the bottom or side of the Sony laptop, and pull out the hard drive.
You will need to go down to your local comptuer or electronics store, and buy a USB adapter for the drive. This will be an IDE to USB or SATA to USB (depending on the hard drive).
It is a wire that will allow you to connect the hard drive to any working computer.

Once that's done, you will use a program called copytrans to transfer the purchases from the old drive to the new iTunes on the new computer, and then sync the phone.

You can get the program from:

http://www.copytrans.net/

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.