Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.

I have an Acer Aspire and it does not recognize my HP Personal

I have an Acer Aspire and it does not recognize my HP Personal Media Drive. Thought the HP drive was lost when my HP crashed, so thrilled to find it, if I can get to the data. Thank you
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

Can you check something for me?

Connect the HP drive

Hold the Windows Key (looks like a flag on the keyboard) and press r

In the run box that appears type in compmgmt.msc then push enter

Double Click Storage
then click on Disk Management

What drives appear in this list?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the top it lists three:

"Blank" with 20GB free - none used

Acer (C:) 10% used

all show as Stauts: "Healthy"

Under that is:

Disk 0, Basic, 931.51 GB, Healthy, Recovery Partition

Darn. It looks like something wiped the data off the drive. Was it a 20GB hp drive Judy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it is 750 GB

Okay, good, whew. What's the model number of the drive? It sounds like the external enclosure has an issue which is quite common on those HP drives. Inside the enclosure is an actual drive. There are two options

1) The cable itself sometimes goes fautly on those

2) The enclosure itself has gone bad. Inserting the actual hard drive into another enclosure would be very simple and easy to do. (Also cheap around $15 bucks)

Let me know the model number. If you want to try another cable first I can locate one or if you just want to replace the enclosure let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model number is: hd7500s

I only have one cord/cable for this device, and it is the cable I use for my printer. I did not get a cable with the drive, as it was supposed to be inserted directly into the computer, which is how I used it long, long ago.

Very sorry, but not sure what the "enclosure" is?

Checking now. I'll find a picture to show you also what an enclosure is :)
Okay, I think I know what's going on. Apparently that model had serious overheating issues causing the PCB (board inside the enclosure) to overheat and stop working

I was reading the above page of reviews and it seems like it was common with those drives :(

However my solution will still work. I found another enclosure on Newegg on the link below:

Basically inside your Personal Media drive is an actual desktop hard drive.

Essentially it's inside an enclosure at the moment.

The above video shows you how to remove the drive but if you don't feel comfortable doing it you could get the enclosure off Newegg and have a local computer shop do it for you. I can't imagine them charging more than $20 to do the swap over. (it's about 5 minute process)

That's about all I'd charge and i've been a computer tech for over 15 years now.

Once the hard drive is in the new enclosure it will just plugin and work as it should have.

If you run into any questions, or future computer issues i'll be here to help you in any way I can Smile

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated) Laughing(To rate my help click the smiley faces below then press the submit button)

(I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience