James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I have a NV78 laptop. The keyboard is not responding at all.

I have a NV78 laptop. The keyboard is not responding at all. I have scanned for viruses and if I add an external keyboard I can type. Have I possibly locked the keyboard?
Category: Computer
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

My name is James.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am sorry your having a problem i will do the best i can to help you reslove this.

Dose the Keyboard work at boot up Ie , If you tap F8

have you tried safemode ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - I don't think the function keys are responding, but will try and reboot If the boot up is interruppted - is that where I would see Safe mode?

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Yes try this Please

If the Machine is on hold the Power Button for ten seconds to power it Off

Then Start the machine and "AS soon as it comes on"

Tap F8 > Keep tapping a list of options will appear

Choose Safemode with Networking

Let me the Machine load and let me know if you can log in using safemode and how the Keyboard works

Cheers James
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the F8 to the options page - but the only option was continue - continuing with F8 resulting in shut down.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
THanks

you need to do this from start up so power the machine fully

off power it on

then as soon as it comes tap F8 keep tapping ,

A page called the Advanced Boot Menu will come up

choose safemode with networking and Press Enter

Load up in Safemode and Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok - tried again after sending the last response and got to the menu needed but the arrow keys don't work to select the safemode with networking

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Interesting can you try the tab Key >?

See if it moves the options

has any liquids been dropped on the laptop ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no movement using the tab key.

I am not awrae of any liquids being spilled. It's my personal laptop and not used a whole lot.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you log into Windows in Normal mode using the External Keyboard let me know when done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Ok lets remote on and have a look

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=7fd3c6e3-d010-4edc-a4ef-12b7b45b206f

Click the Link above then

1) Click Join
2) Click Yes/Run/OK/Allow if asked
3) Click allow if asked by any Anti virus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Had to email the link to the Gateway - connected now

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Connected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

computer is screaming - should I shut down?

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it stopped - and is opening windows - still want me to shut down?

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
ok let it reboot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you see it - it is working through a Launch Repair mode - and now asking for a system Restore Y or N?

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
When was the last time the KB worked ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has been several weeks -

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you can restore Choose a date when the KB worked ,

Let me know what happening please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Allowed the Launch repair to run - it asked me to restart and the loud beeping started again... I selected restore during the first Launch repair process, but it didn't ask for a date. Judging from email, it looks like this has been a problem for a couple of months, not several weeks. Restarting again...I will let you know if I make it to opened Windows.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks let me know when you start up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you need me to link up again?

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
yes please

Click the Link above then

1) Click Join
2) Click Yes/Run/OK/Allow if asked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am getting nowhere and now restarting is a mess. Guess it's time for a new computer...

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
you only did a restore , you don't have to restart it dose it itself

even if the KB is broken they are very cheap to replace , i wouldn't go throwing it away

let the restore finish and let it restart , if no KB its a Hardware IE keyboard problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The restore finished but when the computer restarts, there is an extrememly loud beeping noice throughout the boot up. It stops after that. I've gone through the repairestore beeping twice and still no keyboard. What do I need to do to close this out?

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
#The beeping indicates a hardware Failure

You can look up the codes for how many beeps ( its called a POST)

Power on self Test

You need a new KB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-GATEWAY-NV78-SERIES-SILVER-US-LAPTOP-KEYBOARD-/350605143853?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item51a1b1ef2d

See above from Ebay

They are quite easy to fix Plenty of Online guides

come back if you need more info

to close this Out Please Rate My Service with the smiley Faces and Submit

come Back any issues Cheers James
James K., Consultant
Experience: Technical Director of IT Company