Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry

My P400 touch is about 2 months old. Yesterday, after not

My P400 touch is about 2 months old. Yesterday, after not being used all weekend, it wouldn't startup. It took me hitting the start button about 10 times before it just suddenly started up. This morning, I've been trying for an hour to get it to turn on. When I push the power button, you can hear it whirl for about a second, the backlight for the keys goes on, but then nothing: just a black screen and nothing else. I've tried pushing the one key restart button on side next to where power cord plugs in. nothing at all happens when you hold this in.

Please help! I need to get to work!!!
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you do the following please

remove power cord and battery.
Press power on button for 1 minute.
Put back battery and power cord.
Start the unit.

Tell me if it now starts correctly please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no battery to remove.

I unplugged, held power button in for a minute. plugged back in, pushed power button, same result. Whirls for a second, backlight for keys comes on then nothing

ok, there are two batches, one with a battery that can be removed and the other without.

I want to ensure the backlight has not faulted

When it appears to be on, can you shine a flashlight on the screen and tell me if you faintly see the image please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry for delay, had to find a flashlight.

This is a touch screen (not sure if it makes a difference), but when I shine the flashlight at the screen I do not see anything at all.

this means the mainboard itself has failed Lauren.

your data is safe but the mainboard will need replacement.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the device to have this replaced. It is a known problem, and is covered by the warranty, and the replacement performed at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are you sure? because this happened yesterday and after a while it started up fine.

Yes, 100%

Yesterday it started to fail. What happened was the capacitors on the board would have only semi shorted. When they cooled down, the connection was remade, and it would then work. This is how you got it going.

But as you use it, they heat up and expand, and when you turned if off, they contract and this caused them to completely break.

It is the mainboard Lauren, it is not software related (software could never cause this) and this board needs replacement.

Feel free to ask if you would like any additional information please.

Thank you