Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have Asus EeeTop desktop PC and dont seem to be able to

I have Asus EeeTop desktop PC and don't seem to be able to get the wired (i.e. via a pluged-in cable) ethernet connection going. It looks like the connection is disabled. The JMicron PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor shows that it is working properly. The cable and router are OK - they work with another computer.

What am I missing?

Many thanks

Rudolf
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

When you plug in the cable, does the computer indicate it has detected a cable plugged in?

Has this worked on this computer before?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure how it should indicate RJ45 cable being plugged in. It never worked before. WiFi does but goes to sleep every time a computer is inactive for an hour or so.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok Wifi we can fix that.

If you click Start, type in

ncpa.cpl

press enter

You will the the local area connection.

Right click on it and tell me if you see the option to Enable please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you connect it to the wireless so that I can log onto the computer please?

Get it connected, then

Go to www.joinme.com

Click START MEETING

It will download a program to your computer

Run the program by double clicking it, and it will give you a set of 9 numbers

Give me the numbers at the top of the screen (eg: 456-789-123) in your message to me here please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

880-995-581

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Logging on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I got disconnected

Is it connected again to internet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks that I lost you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, and it disconnected Joinme

Can you run Joinme again and give me the new numbers please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is taking time. i had to stop it first, then restarted and now it says connecting
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok.. It should never have disconnected me, so this is a concern

But let me know when you have the numbers please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesnt look it ever will connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the join.me.txt is says Canot resolve address 0x83ff0200
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you restart the computer and try again please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

580 XXX XXX

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
logged on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we use the previous meyhod of typing? This way the window with your message stays on only for a short timeand I cant read iroper.y
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, click the icon at the top ti the right of the phone

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I got disconnected again.

Are you still getting internet on the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,I am almost giving up. The bloody thing has a mind of its own and on top of it the internet connection seems overloaded and dropping out.

What about reinstalling the Windows etc?

Rudolf

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rudolf

yes, there are major issues with the computer and I agree this is the best course of action.

First, backup all data off the computer as reinstalling Windows is going to delete all data.

Then turn off the computer

Turn it on and keep tapping F9 until you get to the recovery manager

Once there, follow the instructions to perform a Factory Reset.

This will reinstall windows and return the computer to new, like when you first received it.

Once done, setup windows and it should then be in working order again.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry