Marco
Marco, IT Consultant
Experience:  10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.

Having difficulty installing new Epson Workforce WF-3540 MFP

Having difficulty installing new Epson Workforce WF-3540 MFP Printer.
Tried to install (1) from disk and also (2) downloaded from Internet.
Have new USB 2 cable. Software downloads (or installs from disk).
Then start the install (epson3540.exe) and it then asks for the USB cable to be connected.
It never finds the printer. When the USB cable is plugged in, it does not make a sound on the computer like a new PNP. It never sees the new printer. It acts as if the new USB cable is defective. Preferred installation method is stated to be use of USB cable, and after setup is completed cable can be removed and the Epson operates via Wi-Fi.
Do not have another 10 foot USB cable; could possibly use cable on LaserJet to verify the cable.
Recommendation for troubleshooting?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Marco replied 11 months ago.

Marco :

Hi there,

Marco :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with this issue

Marco :

Are you able to go to device manager and then check whether there are any devices with a ? mark

Customer:

Yes

Marco :

what is the heading that it's under or the same

Marco :

name

Customer:

No ? Epson now connected no?

Marco :

ok disconnect the cable

Marco :

and check if anything changes

Marco :

USB cable

Customer:

Unplugged Epson. Go to universal serial bus controllers. No?

Customer:

Nothing changed

Customer:

Epson was not on list Hewlett-Packard LaserJet on list twice as printer and as fax

Marco :

ok that means it's not detecting the epson via the usb cable

Marco :

do you have another USB port on the computer so you can plug it into?

Customer:

Right still acts as if defective cable

Customer:

Tribe about three or four different ports on front panel. Difficult to get into the back as handicapped.

Marco :

was it connected to the front or back before?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Front

Marco :

do you have a USB thumb drive

Marco :

that you can plug into the same port to confirm the port is working

Customer:

Yes. I'll have to chase it. Just a moment

Marco :

ok

Customer:

Got it

Marco :

ok plug it into the same port

Marco :

and see if it picks it up

Customer:

Plug it into same port and it bleeps life PNP always does. I use these front ports frequently without difficulty. Charge my iPhone and use the thumb drives, for example.

Marco :

ok that confirms that there must be a problem with the cable or the printer

Marco :

do you have another cable?

Customer:

Other cables are in use. Epson is on other side room and thus need long cable, for which reason I purchased this 10 foot cable. Can possibly unplug LaserJet cable and plug the new 10 foot cable into it, in order to verify cable.

Marco :

yes

Marco :

we need to confirm the cable

Marco :

sometimes long usb do not work

Customer:

Okay. Will work on it, will use the same port in the front.

Marco :

ok great

Customer:

Found the problem when unplugged the USB cable from the Epson. It was actually stuck into a network plug. On the back side of the printer it is difficult to see. I moved the Epson out from the wall and was able to discover is not even plugged into a USB plug port. Must look at installation instructions and find the USB port. The instructions are very poor in terms of diagrams but it was definitely not USB port

Marco :

i see

Marco :

hehe :)

Marco :

did you find the hole now?

Marco :

if you look at the back of the epson it's on the right hand side

Customer:

No. The instructions were pointing to ports in the back but when I get a flashlight I can tell those ports are for the telephone. It was not a tight fit obviously but I could not see it. I will have to study my downloaded book and try to locate the USB port. It definitely has gone someplace but the little one page setup installation instructions did not show it. I can go ahead and accept for now, because it may take a while to find the USB port. On disability and that slows me down plus the instruction page is fairly worthless. Must go to the downloaded instruction.

Marco :

ok thanks

Marco :

if you still need any further assistance please come back

Marco :

you can download the manual from here <click here>

Marco :

thanks and have a nice day

Customer:

Okay. The ports on the right that the instructions point to are not USB ports. I can find them eventually. Do not need more help right now. If I'm not able to find them or have further difficulty I shall get back to you.

Marco :

ok

Marco :

bye for now

Marco, IT Consultant
Experience: 10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.