Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years ExperienceCCNA Network EngineerA+ Net+ Linux & Windows OSC++ Programming
74139101

I got my dell pc back from the shop and when I started it -

I got my dell pc back from the shop and when I started it - it asks for the administrator password-- I've tried everything I can remember- but can't get passed this.

Martin :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Martin :

May I ask if this is a password XXXXX get prompted for before it boots into Windows or the administrator password XXXXX you go into Windows and did you have access to this before taking it to the computer shop?

Customer:

It asks for this at the very start after turning the pc on... shows the windows xp symbol and says to begin, click your user name-- then to the right of it - it shows a square w/ palm trees in it and says Administrator- type your password

Martin :

And for what reason was it sent to the PC shop, did they happen to reinstall Windows or what was done to the PC?

Customer:

it was freezing up a lot - so they cleaned it --says they did hardware test, wiped and reinstall no data 142.50

Martin :

Ok great, so they probably reinstalled Windows XP for you then

Customer:

sorry- 142.50 was what I paid

Martin :

What happens if you press Enter at the logon screen, without a password?

Customer:

should I try? Is that the enter above the shift key?

Martin :

Yes, on the center-right of the keyboard and yes please give that a try

Martin :

Usually when a technician reinstalls Windows they will leave the password XXXXX

Customer:

If I click on the green arrow w/o putting in a password-- it says did you forget your password please type your password XXXXX I tried pushing the enter button and the same re-enter your password XXXXX up

Martin :

Is that with the username administrator and nothing in the password XXXXX?

Customer:

yes

Martin :

That's quite strange, did you tell them to set any passwords on it for you beforehand?

Customer:

nope

Martin :

Another password XXXXX can try is the word password

Martin :

Or dell

Martin :

But they're not default passwords for Windows by any means, the technicians should have left the password XXXXX for you or noted the current password XXXXX for you along with your receipt

Customer:

nope- neither work-- the shop opens at 9 am- so I can call them- was just hoping to get it going now

Customer:

I never had to use a password XXXXX we set it up- usually it started up and had a box w/ my name and one w/ my husbands and just clicked on mine

Martin :

Yes that's the way it should be, but when you take it to someone for a clean reinstall like they did all that data gets wiped out, they only back up your personal files

Martin :

So basically Windows is fresh like when you first bought it

Customer:

I have a cd that says reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition-- should I put that in the tower?

Martin :

That's a CD you should keep in a safe place in case your operating system's system files ever become corrupt and need to replace them

Martin :

It's not something you require at the moment though

Customer:

Well- maybe I'll just take it back in and have them boot it up for me and watch what they do- we picked it up at closing time last nite and I thought I just plugged it back in and that was it

Martin :

Well you are absolutely correct, that's what they should have done but may have forgotten to do so

Martin :

What you can do is give them a call as soon as they open, they should remember you

Martin :

Or have a record of what they did

Customer:

Ok-- well thank you very much for your help-- have a good day

Martin :

Just tell them you booted into your computer, tried logging in and found that there was a password XXXXX for the administrator account which isn't letting you login

Martin :

My pleasure!