John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

I have an Asus laptop that wont start up. The power is on

I have an Asus laptop that won't start up.
The power is on and the charger has the blue light.
My laptop has a red light on the icon at the front.
I thought it was the battery but when I take that out the light is till there.
Model K501J-SX304X
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

John :

Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your PC. I will try my best to help you

Customer:

Thank you John

John :

Sir it seems like a hardware failure but to confirm that we need to do some troubleshooting

Customer:

OK

John :

You are welcome sir

John :

First we can try resetting the laptop

Customer:

what do you want me to do?

John :

I will explain before that i need some information

John :

when press the power button does it even show the Asus start-up screen?

Customer:

no nothing. the screen is totally dead

John :

Do you hear any beep sounds from the laptop?
Can you hear fan spinning sound from the laptop?

Customer:

No sound at all. I tried to press the cd draw and that won't work either

John :

What about the light indicators on the laptop other than the battery/power light ?

Customer:

The only light that is on is in the centre with the icon like two halves of something and that light is red. I think it is usually green

John :

OK thank you for the detailed information,I am almost sure that its a hardware issue mostly the motherboard but we can try the reset option and see if there is any change

Customer:

OK thanks

Customer:

Can I get my data retrieved at all?

John :

I will explain about that after resetting

John :

Please do the following

Turn off the laptop completely and disconnect the AC adapter. Remove the battery and press and hold the power button for about 60 seconds. Releases the button do not insert the battery back now plug the adapter back and turn on the computer. See if there is any change and let me know

Customer:

Yes it is on now - fantastic thank you! So the battery is dead?

John :

That is really Good news even i thought it was a motherboard issue,we need to run few more test to make sure whether its a battery issue or residual charge issue

Customer:

ok

John :

Are you now on windows desktop screen?

Customer:

yes

John :

Good now shutdown the laptop completely

Customer:

should I back up my data first just in case it won't start again?

John :

do you have a external hard drive with you now?

Customer:

yes

John :

In that case please back up the data you need

Customer:

thanks it won't take a minute, it is my accounting package

John :

No problem at all,let me know once you have backed up the data

John :

take what all data and let me know

Customer:

doing it now

John :

Data lose is a very painful

Customer:

absolutely. I have a new laptop that I haven't initiated yet, so I guess it may be time!

John :

Even if you move to new laptop.To secure your data i suggest the following
1.Back up to a external hard drive
2.Do a second back to a cloud back-up system

Customer:

sorry I won't be long

John :

I believe you meant "it wont be long " ?

Customer:

yep

John :

OK no problem at all

Customer:

OK I just finished the most important data. Hopefully I will be able to retrieve anything else - if not.....

Customer:

So what now?

John :

if you want to double check the data you need to back up.please do so i will wait

Customer:

it will probably take around 15 minutes as it is from the document folder and photos

John :

No problem i will wait 15 min. but do the following
Please bookmark/add to favorites this page, use that bookmark or favourites in case you accidentally close this page during this conversation. You can also get back to this page using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer button in the email click on that and you can open this page

Customer:

done. I will start now, so you will hold?

John :

yes i will,let me know once you are done

Customer:

thank you

John :

You are welcome

Customer:

one more file to do approx. 5 minutes

John :

No problem at all

John :

I hope you saw my previous message which states how to secure the precious data at the time of hardware or hard drive failure

Customer:

yes I did thank you and I know this only too well. I just got lazy

John :

OH OK

Customer:

ok I am finished

John :

Good,now remove the external hard drive from the asus laptop

Customer:

done

John :

then shut down the laptop and unplug the power cable

Customer:

ok done

John :

Now put back the battery and try to turn on only on battery power.
Note:-Do not connect the power adapter

Customer:

ok

John :

let me know the status after that

Customer:

it has started up as normal by the look of the screen. I have logged in and it all looks normal

John :

Good.What is the charge status it shows ?

John :

i mean battery charge

Customer:

about 2/3

John :

OK now shut down the laptop and connect the power adapter

Customer:

ok so shut down completely again? then start with power cord?

John :

yes shut down completely and leave the battery inside then connect the power cable/adapter

Customer:

done

John :

then turn on the adapter then power up the laptop

Customer:

ok

John :

see if it boots up normally

Customer:

yes it has started up but the middle light is red and the outer lights are green. Is that normal? I don't remember it being red before??

John :

So remember it being green am i correct

Customer:

not sure, only presuming. do you know for sure?

John :

the color changes in some models so i cannot confirm it either.let me check it one moment in the mean time see if the battery is charging

Customer:

yes the battery is charging

John :

ok when the laptop was working on power adapter only,what was the color of the led?

Customer:

green

John :

OK in that case it can be the battery.if the battery is not holding the charge,like one or more cells in the battery is not holding the charge then this red light can show up
but see if the color changes after its fully charged

John :

You can also try depleting the full charge from the battery and then charge it fully without using the laptop

Customer:

ok, so how do I deplete the charge from the battery fully without using the laptop?

John :

i mean use the laptop and deplete the charge once the charge is full depleted then charge it without using the laptop.did you understand now?

John :

did you understand what i said above? if not let me know and i will explain

Customer:

yes so you mean use the laptop only on battery until it runs out then charge the battery in the laptop whilst the laptop is turned off or not booted up?

John :

yes exactly

John :

This complete system shut down issue can also occur if there is residual charge on the motherboard.which is common but you only need to worry about it
if this complete shut down happens frequently then you need to send the laptop to service center so that they can check the motherboard throughtly

John :

I have one more question for you.when you use the laptop last time was it on battery power or power adapter?

Customer:

Unsure. I was using it both ways yesterday and moving it around the office, so it was both

Customer:

Can't tell you what the last way of use is though

John :

Its OK i was just checking whether the laptop shutdown due to low charge on the battery if that is the case then this residual charge issue can happen,which you do not need to worry

Customer:

so I need a new battery?

John :

To be honest i cant tell that, let it charge fully then run the laptop on battery power and see if the charge depletes quickly that usual.if that is the case then replace the battery

Customer:

thank you so much you have saved my day.

John :

Very glad to know that and thank you for your cooperation,Is there anything else you like to know ?

Customer:

how do I exit and pay balance?

John :

To do that rate me
If you are satisfied with my services/answer please rate me using the options just below this chat box select the rating and click on submit that will do it some bonus will be well appreciated.Have a Great God Blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Customer:

Shall do! Goodbye John

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE