Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Whats the best practice for an Exchange email account when

What's the best practice for an Exchange email account when a user quits? What if we wanted any future sender's to get a kickback letting them know the employee is no longer here. How would we do that without deleting the account? We never delete accounts since there could be valuable information we may need later. Thanks!
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Good move not deleting the account, you never know if you will need something that is in their or maybe the person will come back.

Usually what I do is first reset the password, then just set a out of office reply using the out of office assistant in outlook saying that the person is no longer here and ask the sender to send to the new person. You can set this up either in outlook or just use outlook web access and sign in as the user.

This way after sometime has past and the account stops receiving mail you can just disable the account, you still don't need to delete.

Usually about a month is good and then you can disable.

That is what I have been doing for years when someone leaves and to me is the best simplest solution.

If you need further help please let me know.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
Apologies for jumping into this but i thought i'll provide my recommendation as well.

What we normally do is have the email forwarded to another address where it can be monitored by someone else and set up an auto-message to let the sender know that the employee no longer works here, and this mailbox is being monitored by (Mr. ABC) who will be in touch shortly.

See how you can set up Auto-Reply: Click Here

See how you can set up forwarding:
Click Here

The purpose of doing this is obvious, keep the previous emails, continue from where the ex-employee left and let his contacts know when they contact him that he has left and who to contact.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.