Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry

Hello. I am a long-time user of Sony Vegas HD Movie Studio

Customer Question

Hello. I am a long-time user of Sony Vegas HD Movie Studio Platinum Edition. I built myself a new computer late last year and almost immediately purchased and installed HDMSP 11. It worked perfectly for the few months that I used it, so when 12 was released, I decided to upgrade. 12 also worked perfectly, at least for a couple months, at which point it suddenly decided to stop rendering literally anything. I will click on "Project > Render As..." and a dialog will pop up that says "An error occurred while creating the media file . Exception thrown by method called" exactly like that. I have been back and forth with customer support earlier this for an entire month, and they could not solve my issue. I uninstalled the software and was given a refund. I now have a very urgent need for the software so I installed the trial just to see if it suddenly decided to start working again, just like it had so suddenly decided to stop working earlier this year. Lo and behold, it still does not work. I am sick and tired of this and have been through almost literally hell and high water to fix this issue and nothing has worked. I am desperate now, I absolutely must have this software. It seems to be, from reading threads on your support forums by other users with the exact same problem, that the only solution is to reinstall Windows entirely, which I am unwilling to do just to get one program to work. Please help me, I am absolutely desperate.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXXXX XXX I look forward to assisting you.

I want to rule out any Registry or Hard Disk corruption that can cause this problem first please.

do the following please

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Than try to render and let me know if you still get the error please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did everything you said and I am still receiving the error.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks

To be sure, can you install the latest version of Quicktime from here please

Click Me

Also make sure you have all Windows updates installed, which you can install from here

Click Me

Once done, restart and tell me if you can now render please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have the latest version of QuickTime and all of the latest Windows updates.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, in Movie Studio, go to Tools Scripting, Batch Rendering.

Choose from the list Video for Windows and check it so it is selected, and all the options in the tree.

Then unselect it please so it is cleared.

Then click the plus to the left of Winndows Media Video V11, and under it click on the box 4.8 mbps HD 720-24p Video.

Click OK and tell me if it now renders please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have looked through every single menu, including Tools, and I cannot find anything that says "Scripting" or "Batch Rendering."

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, then for you

When you go to Render As.

On that windows, do you see Customize Template button?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Normally yes I'm sure I do, but I can't see anything that would normally happen because when I click "Render As..." it immediately displays the error dialogue. Nothing else happens.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, do the following please

Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if it now allows you to render please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did that, restarted, tried rendering again, and I'm still encountering the same error.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
When exactly does the error come? At what exact point?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I click the Project menu, and from that drop-down menu, I click "Render As..."

Right when I click "Render As...", the error happens.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, download Revo Uninstaller please from

www.revouninstaller.com

You get a 30 day trial which will suffice.

Install and run it and do a Force uninstaller of the Movie Studio.

Once done, restart the computer, then install Movie Studio and tell me if you can now render please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did exactly as you said and I still cannot render.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
How long ago did it stop working?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The problem originally occurred starting in early November last year.

Sony customer support didn't start responding to my problem until early January of this year.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, click start

type in %temp% and press enter

Delete all files and folders listed there.

Restart and tell me if it still errors when trying to render please
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Did that, still not rendering.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, click Start, Control Panel, User Accounts.

Create a new user account.

Restart the computer and log in with this account.

Tell me if in this account you can render please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Nope, still can't render.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, then the Dynamic Link Libraries it needs from windows are corrupted.

We are going to need to perform a re-install of Windows Nathan, there is no way to avoid this sorry.

If you tell me the Brand of computer you have, I can tell you how to do this.

Let me know please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I hope you understand my frustration - which is not with you, it's with the software - when I say that this is absolutely unbelievable. I pay good money for software that I thought would be my best option and all of a sudden I can't use it anymore and the only way to fix the problem is to reinstall my entire operating system. Absolutely absurd.

I know how to reinstall Windows, believe me I've done it many times before, but nonetheless my computer is custom built. The motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, if its custom built you need to use the windows disk, else I would tell you the procedure on how to do it from the hidden partition.

It is absurd Nathan, 100% agree with you, but this is the issue with the software, and why I always advise on Avid, as opposed to this.

Avid has no where near the problems Movie Studio has.

But I am sorry, a reinstall is going to be necessary. Its the only way to resolve this.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yeah except that the only problem with Avid is that it costs nearly ten times what Movie Studio costs, and there's no way I could afford that right now.

Regardless, I will perform the reinstall on my own time, if I even decide to at all. The idea of reinstalling my entire operating system just to fix one little program still does not sit well with me.

Thank you very much for your time, I greatly appreciate it. Your service has been excellent and very efficient. However, since my problem is not resolved, I will not be charged for this, correct?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
You have already paid the deposit Nathan, and that was with me to work with you.

It is solved, you need to reinstall windows, there is no other way around this.

This is the solution.

But if you do not wish to pay for this, don't rate me and let me know you want a refund.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Your service has been outstanding, like I said, but I would like a refund. Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
sure, enjoy your free answer

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Not the right thing your doing.