Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry

Hi. I have an Iomega ix2-200 that we moved from one office

Hi. I have an Iomega ix2-200 that we moved from one office to a new office and now the device just sits there with a blink/flashing white light. I read somewhere that this was re-syncing the raid but I have left it now for 24 hours and it is still blinking. If I put my hand on the device I think I can feel the drive(s) spinning but I cannot access the device via the network and it does not appear on the router as a device that has taken an IP address. DO you have any ideas what I can do as the data is valuable and desperately needed.....
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

When you moved it to the new office, did you also move the router? Or ar you using a new router there?

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Richard

It is a "new" router. Not really new but the one in the other office. I set the NAS to get IP address not fixed.

Tested this in the previous office and checked that the NAS picked up an IP and we seen on the network. This was fine and worked OK

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, can you set the IP address as fixed Steve, in the same range as the new router. Then try to access it please.

If you do not know which IP Address to use, let me know please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

As I said in my original post I cannot access the device. It is just sitting here with a white flashing light on the front. Even it I power off and power on the device just sits there with the white flashing light

I can feel some driver spinning if I put my hand on the box but I cannot get access to it to change the config. The web browsing does not work and nor does Iomega's software - it cannot see the device.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, when you said you set it to automatic, I though you could still get a direct connection to its management console.

Can you shut down the NAS.

Then remove the power from the Router and wait 5 minutes.

Put the power back into the router and allow it 5 minutes to start.

Then turn on the NAS and tell me if you can now connect to it please Steve.

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I cannot shut down the NAS.

If I press and hold the power button nothing happens and the white light just continues to blink.

I can only power down by physically pulling out the power cable.

I have already tried this type of power down on the device.

I did the router re-boot routine yesterday already.

The only way to give power to the NAS is to physically unplug the power as the power switch itself does not have any effect.

I also tried Iomega's reset routine (press and hold reset button on back for 15 secs - nothing happens) to preserve data as I do not want to do a factory reset (in any case I can't get to the software to do this) as it will lose lots of desperately required data.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Steve.

The fact it will not power down is a concern.

But, can you connect it to the old router again and see if it is accessible please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK. Hang on.....

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Just checked the DHCP table and the device does not show in the list. All the other computers/devices that are on the network do show:-

DHCP server: Running
Index IP Address MAC Address Leased Time HOST ID
1 192.168.11.100 4C-B1-99-DB-5D-7D 34:40:50.330
2 192.168.11.101 00-1B-EA-FF-A1-F4 15:36:20.550 Wii
3 192.168.11.102 00-1C-DF-D2-0B-2D 12:34:55.050 MandaPC
4 192.168.11.103 64-31-50-38-FF-95 11:40:05.560 ShaunMBragg-HP
5 192.168.11.104 00-23-6C-8B-92-D8 34:22:38.600
6 192.168.11.105 00-1F-1F-7F-AB-BF 19:56:13.340 ShaunBragg-PC_2
7 192.168.11.106 A4-67-06-9F-83-E2 29:33:00.880
8 192.168.11.107 18-67-B0-7E-E2-03 29:22:36.090 StevesPCHome
9 192.168.11.108 00-A1-B0-92-30-2D 21:42:24.730 ShaunBragg-PC_2
10 192.168.11.109 E0-C9-7A-2C-32-12 34:51:23.970 Shauns-iPhone
11 192.168.11.110 00-D0-B8-1E-03-A1 34:55:10.850

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, But to be sure, you cannot access it still correct?

As the Lease table can be delayed

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No I cannot access it. I have tried using their software.

To be fair the device is not directly connected to the back of the router it is connected via a switch where the servers are. Do you think that will make a difference?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
No it will not as it is working on neither routers, so it is the iOmega that has failed, and possibly it was damaged due to the move.

But the Raid uses a backup raid, so we can see if at least one of the disks are accessible, but it is going to require dismantling the drive.

you will then need this adapter.

Click Me

You then connect one of the hard disks to the adapter, and the cable to the USB port on your computer.

From the symptoms you are describing, it is very likely the devices mainboard has failed, which is why it wont turn off, or get a network connection. This means the Hard Disks are ok, and you will have a very good chance to get the data off it using my advised method.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have a USB Sata cradle which I tried yesterday to get to the data.

When I put the drive(s) in this they failed to spin, so I could not see them.

So I tried the drive directly on the none boot sata in a pc. Again the drives could not be seen, as they are Linux and I read somewhere that they are LVA2?

Does that make sense to you?

Will a PC be able to read the data if I get this device from Amazon?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
No, they are not Linux, they are disk drives, the firmware on the iOmege is linux, but that has no effect on what we are doing.

To confirm, the Sata Cradle, you removed the disk and connect it to this and the other end into a USB port?

What is the make and model of this cradle?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ah OK. I read somewhere that the drives have some Linux software on them for booting up.

I wonder why the PC could not see the drives when I connected a sata cable to them?

The cradle is a WivStars Sata Hard Drive Docking Station model A27JB. It runs off a 12v 2amp AC adapter.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
No, Hard drives themselves do not have Software like this.

The Cradle should work, which means Steve that the hard disks have actually crashed.

The Adapter i propose is the same as the cradle, but it is not going to be possible sorry to get the data off them.

the fact that when you connected them into the Cradle and they did not spin at all, confirms this.

I am sorry about this, but the disks themselves will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

God you really think so!!

I know when I plugged the cradle with the 1TB disks in my Mac reported a power issue but the cradle worked with a 250gb Drive.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
You had the power adapter connected to the cradle correct?

As there are two reasons for this message
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes I did.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What are the two reasons?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, then it confirms they have crashed sorry Steve, it detects the Drives not using any power.

The other reason is not enough power, but you had the power adapter plugged in

They have crashed. At the least, the drives would Spin, and the fact they do not, confirms this sorry.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The thing is though that I can feel them spinning in the NAS device, with the white light blinking.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
The only way to access them apart from using the iOmega casing is via a direct Sata connection that you did.

I have not used the model you are using, and always use the one I recommended, as I have never had issues.

You can use this instead, but really, on my experience, it is pointing to the hard disks have crashed.

But there is no way to access them other then these methods.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What do you think about data recovery?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
You can have the drives dismantled and manually scanned for any recoverable data, it can be costly but it depends on the value of the data to you.

I cannot say on the success as I do not know the damage the drives received when they crashed, only the scan will reveal this.

I would recommend you contact this company, and have it done in their Labs, if you wish to take this route as if there is any chance of data recovery, they will be able to recover it.

Click Me

But get a price first Steve as it can be quite expensive.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK. I'll have to call them. The data is desperately important to us.

I will never trust one of these NAS drives again!

I can't see how two drives can fail simultaneously and I though the point of RAID was to keep a mirror of data if one drive failed!

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
That is the point but more on one hard disk failing, or any data corruption, but if they suffered a shock or any damage, then they both would fail.

I would consider moving away from Nas and looking at an online service such as www.dropbox.com

Any physical solution always has these risks, which are not there when using an online solution such as this.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry