Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Hi, Im wondering which version of Windows Home Premium I should

Hi, I'm wondering which version of Windows Home Premium I should get? I'm confused about all this jazz having to do with the OEM version, bc I can get that a lot cheaper. I have a bootleg version of 7 Home premium on my laptop now, which a friend installed when he borrowed my laptop for a few months since I'm mainly a Mac person, but before I believe the registered version was Vista. I have a Sony Vaio that's a few years old now, if that helps to suggest which OS I may have had bc it's been so long since I used my laptop, I've forgotten.
Is there anywhere you can download it, or is it best to just buy the disk?

Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Kamil Anwar :

May i know if the operating system you require will be installed on to the Sony Vaio?

Kamil Anwar :

There are few points to note first.

Kamil Anwar :

OEM is the one that system builders provide to their customers, so it is like when you buy a computer from a shop, that may have OEM installed onto it. Support for OEM is also provided by the system builders.

Kamil Anwar :

Retail version is intended to be sold separately for installation by the end-user.

Kamil Anwar :

If the laptop you intend to install operating system on is an old (meaning, it was manufactured before the release of Windows 7 then chosing to install Windows 7 on it may result in incompatibility, unless you find the right drivers.

Kamil Anwar :

If you want to install the operating system your self as an end-user then you need to get the Retail Version.

Kamil Anwar :

You can download Windows 7 Home Premium by Clicking Here OR by visiting the link directly http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

Kamil Anwar :

I hope this helps, if not please ask so i can clarify further, if you do not need any other information kindly rate my answer that will be highly appreciated.

Customer: Hi Kamil! Thanks for the fast response. As I stated, Windows 7 home premium is on my laptop currently and is doing just fine, I just don't want pirated s/w on my laptop. I should have clarified that I understand what OEM is, having been in the software industry myself but on the Apple side, but with this release of Win 7 I am confused bc there seems to be just as many skews for the OEM version as for the higher-priced end-user version, and by reading Amazon reviews it seems there is much confusion over which to buy.
Kamil Anwar :

Hello

Kamil Anwar :

There is a 0% difference in the software itself.

Customer: Btw, I am reading your message on my iPad and didn't realize your link was to an actual download! Is that a site where I can download the sw and then pay for it later?
Kamil Anwar :

You can download the software and then buy the license key from Microsoft directly.

Kamil Anwar :

There is a 0% difference in the software, the only difference would be (who supports it and who supplies it).

Kamil Anwar :

You can even use the license key provided by the OEM system builder on a retail version (that you will buy yourself). It will not make any difference.

Customer: So why doesn't everyone just buy the cheaper OEM version? There was something about getting irrevocably linked to MS through ur HD with the OEM sku, I'll have to find the exact product name. Because yes I know, OEM is the same as standalone.
Kamil Anwar :

Retail versions are supported directly by Microsoft and OEM versions are not - Those are supported by the system builders.

Kamil Anwar :

People usually do not know but for those who have more knowledge on this know the difference.

Kamil Anwar :

Second reason is people without technical expertise cannot provide support to themselves so they rely on Microsoft for support.

Customer: ahah!! Now I understand. Which is better from a support POV? Do I get support to make it worthwhile purchasing thru Msft directly? I'm booting up my laptop now so I can check out that download...
Kamil Anwar :

You have to write the ISO to the DVD/USB

Customer: While I am waiting for things to boot up, do u mind if I ask what sw is best for virus and spyware, malware, etc., these days?
Kamil Anwar :

You will need to buy a product key card for Windows 7 or a CD - Microsoft i guess is no longer selling this. They are now doing Windows 8.

Kamil Anwar :

I use AVG Free :)

Kamil Anwar :

and Ad-Aware Antivirus

Kamil Anwar :

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the best as far as i have experienced.

Customer:

OK, on PC now. So I can't buy a key for 7 anymore? from what I hear, win 8 is not very good.

Kamil Anwar :

It's built to adapt the touch systems as the technology is changing

Kamil Anwar :

If you ask for my opinion, then i agree with you. It's not good and i can't use it for my regular work.

Customer:

AVG is good?I thought I saw it spring up on my laptop as a virus and deleted it, OK I'll try again. What about Norton or McAfee? Yes. I know, it's about time for MSFT to change and this one's going to be painful but necessary as they move to touch, IMHO.

Kamil Anwar :

AVG is ok.

Kamil Anwar :

But since it's free and i know how to protect my computer - I don't spend money on these softwares.

Kamil Anwar :

Ad-Aware is very good.

Kamil Anwar :

I'll send you a screens shot - 10 seconds.

Customer:

And malwarebbytes, never heard of it will use that too. have heard that once I get this pirate version off here my system will be much happier.

Customer:

You have to write the ISO to the DVD/USB -- that part is above my head

Kamil Anwar :

To install Windows 7 it is recommended that you first create a bootable disk/usb, write the operating system there and then boot from it.

Kamil Anwar :

Which operating system do you currently have now on your system?

Customer:

started the download anyway, I'm direct on ether

Customer:

I have win 7 home premium

Kamil Anwar :

You can buy the software here, that should contain the proper discs.

Kamil Anwar :

There is no need to re-install the same OS, all you need to do is put in the correct key.

Kamil Anwar :

You can buy the full retail version here for $147

Customer:

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 64bit - that's what I need, I think, but it's not download, good price. You know and trust this site?

Kamil Anwar :

SoftwareMedia i have used them and they are very good.

Customer:

Oh, so the first link presented me with the OEM and the second the full retail, did I understand that correctly?

Kamil Anwar :

Yes

Kamil Anwar :

Second link is for discountmountainsoftware, i have not used them but from the reviews they seem good as well.

Customer:

And it's for both 32 and 64 bit, looks like.

Customer:

OK I think it would seem prudent until I get my win chops up again, to go the retail version. So I would have support direct through MSFT then?

Kamil Anwar :

Yes

Kamil Anwar :

OS related support through Microsoft.

Customer:

Tempting, the download link you sent me has only 16 minutes left!! where would I get a key for that? and that would be an OEM version correct?

Kamil Anwar :

There is no difference in the software

Kamil Anwar :

except for 32bit/64bit

Kamil Anwar :

It becomes OEM when you use the OEM key

Kamil Anwar :

and If you use the retail key, then it becomes retail

Customer:

Not understanding. I want 64bit I'm fairly sure...can I use the download I'm about to get and purchase a retail key?

Kamil Anwar :

You can use it but if you are going to buy the retail version then you do not need to install it from a downloaded copy.

Kamil Anwar :

You will get the CDs to install and you can use that to easily install it.

Kamil Anwar :

If you can wait until they deliver that will be best for you

Customer:

IS that a detriment, ie is it tricky to do so, install from download? on mac I haven't installed from disc in eons it seems

Kamil Anwar :

It is tricky and you can run into problems - but there is no point in installing it from the download when you are going to buy the CDs

Customer:

OK, I will take your advice on that.

Kamil Anwar :

Mac is great, they have a lot of options to upgrade/update (internet recovery etc..)

Kamil Anwar :

The bad side of Mac is that they are not backward compatible.

Customer:

Preaching to the choir, my friend -- I've got double mac everything!

Customer:

true, but we are such addicts they've got us brainwashed around that problem to just want the next best thing anyway ;-)

Kamil Anwar :

haahah

Kamil Anwar :

so true :)

Customer:

I think it's best to be bi- or poly-platform with a preference for one, lol

Kamil Anwar :

lol

Customer:

I have taken up much of your time and greatly appreciate all your help. I hope you are around next time I have a tech issue, because I know there will be a next time! Do you work regular days or hours?

Kamil Anwar :

The next best thing i am looking at is the Google Glass

Customer:

Oh yes, so exciting. An exciting company.

Kamil Anwar :

I will be here, when you have a question: you can write in For Kamil: followed by question and that will come to me.

Customer:

Fantasatic! I will give you a great rating, turned up to 11 ;-) (if you are old enough to know the reference!)

Kamil Anwar :

you have a very nice sense of humour.

Customer:

It's from Spinal Tap, a great rock n roll parody movie, where the speakers turn up to 11 instead of 10

Kamil Anwar :

I haven't seen that movie.

Kamil Anwar :

I'll watch it next weekend.

Customer:

Thank you :-) Oh yes, it's a parody of big-hair in the 70's, but so many modern-day cultural references that it's practically a must-see! Just google "turn it up to 11" lol

Kamil Anwar :

Good addition to my knowledge

Kamil Anwar :

Thanks

Customer:

This transcript is saved, yes? So anything you've said can and will be used for the betterment of my understanding of this mad machine called a PC?

Kamil Anwar :

Yes it is saved

Kamil Anwar :

Next time you login, you can click on this Question to view it.

Customer:

Thanks Kamil, have a wonderul nite, I've got a very busy evening of geeking out to get back to now. TTYL

Kamil Anwar :

You're welcome. Take Care :) It's 7.28 here in UK. I am off to bed now.

Kamil Anwar :

Thank you once again for giving me the opportunity to answer your question.

Customer:

oh my goodness!

Kamil Anwar :

Take Care & Bye.

Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.