Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware
13934950

I have a hp pavilion dv7 with windows vista operating system.

Customer Question

I have a hp pavilion dv7 with windows vista operating system. Recently it went to a black screen. I could not get desktop to come up and I could not get it to turn off. So I unplugged it and pulled out battery. Then I replaced the battery and plugged it in and it began working properly except, now my sound is all distorted and has static. This sound problem has happened before and I have always been able to fix it by uninstalling the sound and then when windows reinstalls it, it is fixed. I tried this trick this time and it is not fixing it. Do you have any suggestions?

Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 12 months ago.

Since you already tried to uninstall audio drivers and it did not resolved the problem, next try to update the driver using following steps

Download audio drivers from the following link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3744231&prodNameId=3756017&swEnvOID=2093&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-65609-1

Most HP DV7 series laptops uses IDT Hight Defintion audio codec. Download the file from above link, double click on downloaded file named sp41398.exe.
It will first extract some files to C:\swsetup\SP41398 folder and then the setup program should start

Follow onscreen prompts to install the audio driver and restart the system when completed.

If the problem remains, click Windows icon (Start), type devmgmt.msc in the search bar and press Enter to open Device Manager

Expand Sound, video and game controllers

Double click on listed audio device, click Details tab

Under Property, select Hardware Ids

graphic

Now you should see a long string

Let me know two set of four characters listed after "PCI\VEN_", and "&DEV_"

Thanks
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

111D and 76B2

Expert:  Santonu replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for the update. The vendor and device ids point to IDT audio device and we previously installed the correct drivers.

Since it did not help, next

A Right click on the small speaker icon at the lower right corner of your screen, select Playback devices

Double click on the listed audio device, click Enhancements tab

Select the checkbox Disable all enhancements

Click Apply and Ok

Click Ok again

Now test sound

B If the probelm started recently, try to use system restore and see if you can restore system settings to a previous date

Click Windows icon(Start)-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> System Restore

Select a previous date (when sound used to work properly), click Next.

When the restore is complete, the system will restart automatically. Now test sound again.

If the above fails, let me know if you have the option to test with an external headphone to check if you notice same problems when the headphone is conected ?

Also tell me when you notice this problem. When trying to play a saved audio file with Windows Media player Or when trying to watch a video online such as Youtube ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

We tried A and it did not work. We are unwilling to try B. Thanks for your attempt to fix the problem. We will try another expert.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Last restore was over 5 years ago, not willing to lose all the information since then on a system restore. Same problem when headphone is connected. Sound bad regardless of what is playing. Even the little chime that rings when Windows page comes up is distorted. Would battery have anything to do with it? My battery is completely gone.Computer only works when plugged in..

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Santonu replied 12 months ago.

If the battery is still connected then you can try to turn off the system, disconnect battery, make sure ac adapter is connected and then turn it on. If it remain same and if you notice the same problem with a headphone connected, then next we can try to run system file checker which basically looks for corrupt system files and performs repair as required.

A Click Windows icon (Start) -> All Programs-> Accessories. Right click on Command Prompt, select Run As Administrator. A command window should open

Type the following command and press Enter

sfc /scannow

This should start the system file checker which searches for corrupted system files and replace the same with the correct ones. Once completed, restart the computer

B Another option is testing the system in clean boot environment to eliminate possible problems due to startup programs

Click Windows icon
Type msconfig in the Search box and press Enter
Click on the Startup tab
Click Disable All

Click Apply and Close, restart the system.

C Run audio troubleshooter from the following link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/tips-fixing-common-sound-problems#tips-fixing-common-sound-problems=windows-vista

Click FixIt link, click Run when prompted.

D If it does not help, right click on the small speaker icon at the lower right corner of your screen, select Playback devices

If you have more than one device listed under Playback devices, then look for the device which do not have a green tick next to it. Right click on it and select Set as default

Then right click on the device which was previously selected as default, and then set the device as default audio device, click Apply and Ok

Click Ok again

If it fails too, then I do have another suggestion to confirm if the problem is due to corrupt drivers/OS files Or the problem is infact with hardware (audio chip). If you like to to try that, then here are the steps

Create a bootable disc of Ubuntu (another operating system) . We can try to start the system from a Ubuntu disc. It will allow you to run the operating system from the CD, you do not need to install Ubuntu on the hard drive. Download ISO image file for Ubuntu

http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.10/

(download the file named ubuntu-11.10-alternate-i386.iso)

Download the ISO image file and burn it to a CD. Make sure that the image file is properly burned. This guide will show the procedure

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn

Now use this CD to boot the computer. You may need to press F12 during startup to get a boot device selection menu and then select your CD drive and press Enter. Once it starts from the CD select the option "Try Ubuntu". It should now start the operating system from CD without installing it.

Once Ubuntu starts, test sound. If the same problem occur when in Ubuntu then it will confirm that the problem is with hardware.

If the problem do not occur while in Ubuntu, then the problem is with Windows system files/drivers and we need to address that issue.

Please let me know results, I will list additional steps/options..