RobertFR
RobertFR, Computer Repairer
Experience:  I have worked in IT Quality Engineering for 20+ years and build and fix computers (desktops/laptops) in my spare time.
74928013

Hi I have a problem. Yesterday I inadvertently uninstalled

Customer Question

Hi I have a problem. Yesterday I inadvertently uninstalled operating system of my passport external hard drive. I hook the device to my computer, which recognizes it. So I no longer have an automatic entrance into programs, so now it asks for password XXXXX of course I forgot.
Category: Computer
Expert:  RobertFR replied 3 years ago.

RobertFR :

Hi, my name isXXXXX am in the USA, east coast, but I will keep in mind any time difference and try to be online at your convenience.

RobertFR :

Unfortunately, if you do not know the password XXXXX set on the drive, the data will not be accessible and there is no way around it on your own. Your only option, if you really need the data, would be to try a data recovery company. This is very expensive and is not always successful.

RobertFR :

Let me know if you need more information about data recovery or about formatting the drive so you can still use it.

JACUSTOMER-hlvmslfr- :

Thanks for trying but it does not help me.

RobertFR :

Sorry you do not like the answer, but it is the truth. You will find many people in the same situation as yours and all are given the same answer, even by Western Digital. You should not rate my service as poor just because the actual answer is not what you hoped it would be. If you have any idea of what the password XXXXX be, I would keep trying to guess it. You might get lucky and enter the correct one.

RobertFR :

With a question like this, I knew I would have to tell you bad news, but I chose to answer it when other most experts did not. Please don't give me a negative rating based on the unfortunate answer. I should be based on my service, in which I told your options and offered to help you further if needed.